Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:32 am

After getting someone up to be able to walk, Geyser slumps down and takes a minute to breathe before smoke presents a hazard to staying inside. Wait, is the building going to burn and collapse? Just one minute to relax, he begs to no one. Pixel's suggestions give him something to think about while he kneels on the ground. What do you think, Levy? There's no marine creature in sight, or pockets of air, no reply. The beast sleeps again. Or observes. Geyser was never quite at ease thinking about what it was up to. He feels a tingle on the back of his neck.

"That was a vision of hell-on-earth just now. Just a piece of that big fuck-off demon's will for the future. Who can do all of that just now with 'no real power'...?"

He wants to say that it could be one of the Fallen, and maybe he shouldn't. Not here. He hasn't even been primed on those types.
Int****, Investigation*** (if usable, no time to research properly)
How familiar is Geyser with Jade Dragon and the Utopians? What does he know about them? Does he know who their enemies are?

This seems to have Nephandi written all over it, but that's just me.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:13 am

Geyser feels Levy withdraw deeper into his being, or perhaps withdrawing from it? The exact nature and actions of any Avatar are part of the mystery of Awakened life, having no easy answers. Regardless, it manifests as a marine creature, and seems to have withdrawn as the fire continues to rage around them. Whether the true nature of the Being is a spiritual demon or a corrupted Nephandi is hard to know at this time, but regardless it is unfathomably powerful.

Master Robertson meets Pixel's gaze squarely, as he marches steadily towards the main entrance, his Ritual-mates fanning out to collect the wounded, either getting them back on their feet or carrying the bodies from this place. No one is being left behind, regardless of their condition. "Clever considerations, Pixel. I see the Adepts are improving their critical thinking teachings." Insufferably elitist, but he does recognize quality when he sees it. "But think bigger. Jade Dragon is a Master of Ars Mentis. Even I could not penetrate her defenses, never mind doing so and have her unaware of the attack." The hint of a haunted look makes it to his visage, whether purposely or accidentally revealed. "If this Enemy has been able to affect her so powerfully and subtly, who cannot now doubt their own thoughts and actions? Have even I, in all my pride and accomplishments, been a tool in the hands of another? Dark days are ahead as we now must investigate our own, and hope that with us being forewarned, we may be able to prevent it from happening again."

Dexter and Ulrich ...
Geyser: Int 4 + Investigation 3, TN 7 = 2,3,5,6,7,7,10 = 3 Successes.
--- Geyser is quite familiar with the Utopians. They're very open and welcoming, so it's not hard to get at least a baseline familiarity. Jade Dragon's twin, Phoenix, is in charge of the public face of the Utopians - the Nine Hands Wellness Center. He manages the soup kitchen for the needy, and teaches a number of martial arts classes focused on well being and self-defense.
--- Jade Dragon deals with the most 'spiritual' aspects of their work. Meditation classes, and one-on-one counseling. Some of those are students (such as Ken) who wish to learn. Some are literally counseling sessions for those who are struggling or traumatized. Sadly not uncommon when one is dealing with people with food insecurity or homelessness.
--- Outside of the general magical threats (Nephandi, Technocracy, Marauders, Hunters, etc.), it is hard to think of enemies they might individually or collectively have. There are a couple gangs in the area that have had to withdraw from the 'territory' near the Wellness Center. But if they have any enemies that can pull off this sort of thing, it isn't publicly known. And Geyser has never heard either of them mention looming threats to worry about.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:55 pm

Pixel finds herself subconsciously bringing down her VR visor to hide her face as she speaks. "You're right," she says slowly to Master Robertson, "but what if that's exactly what the attacker wants. We don't want this to turn into some internal Inquisition or purge--but if we get too paranoid, we could end up going down that path without even intending." She finds Robertson's elitism annoying, but he seems to have it enough under control that he's willing to listen.

Pixel pauses to look around the room and see if there's a way she can help out that won't place too much physical strain on her.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:36 pm

Geyser blinks and comes out of his daze. Looking around, he processes the raging inferno, again, and springs up on his feet, fighting through the burns to stand. After having found and pressed the factory-reset button in the back of his mind, he gingerly marches toward folks lying on the ground, hissing through his teeth. He channels the strength to walk on their own back into them, heart bleeding nauseatingly for the women first (and children, if present). He gives the ones in shock a nudge and urges them to walk to the exit.
Geyser will use Life to help the immobile get back on their feet and move. He'll also give people a push if they look like they're in a similar state of shock.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:35 am

Were it not for the charred state of his once immaculate clothing, an outside observer would never guess that Dexter had been caught in the counterblast of agonizing aetheric flame that emanated from the otherworldly interloper as a vengeful parting gift to everyone within the museum. The curative powers of the Star Arcana had proven extraordinarily potent in its efficacy with all traces of burns of varying degrees across his skin returning to its smooth and unsullied state nigh instantaneously.

No longer hindered by crippling physical injuries, Dexter gingerly pushed himself up into a sitting position. The acrid odor of smoke hung thickly in the air and stung his nostrils along with some other scent that he didn’t care to focus on too closely. Eventually the Orphan slowly rose to his feet, mutely surveying the aftermath of the entity’s fiery departure with a jaded expression while rearranging and dusting off what remained of his attire.

Dexter only halfheartedly listened in on the discussion between Pixel and Robertson, having no opinions, comments or observations of his own to add. This wasn't so much out of utter disinterest as it was his mind still wearily struggling to recover from the massive strains brought on by tonight’s ordeal and the dreadful portents that only an utter madman would have a reasonable chance at grasping their underlying meaning, if there was in fact any meaning at all to be gleaned from that tangled knot of nightmare imagery.

Perhaps in an instinctive attempt to shelter his mind from such disturbing thoughts, Dexter gradually walked over to Pixel. Standing a little awkwardly off to the side, the half-romani waited for a break in her discussion with Robertson before grabbing the Virtual Adept's attention with a polite "ahem", then gestured to himself, specifically his singed apparel as he asked, "Sorry to interrupt but that device of yours... can it do more than remove pesky stains by chance?"
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:15 pm

Pixel turns and looks at Dexter in momentary befuddlement. "What? Oh, you want me to hack your clothes back to a decent state? I ..." She shakes her head. "I removed the stain by translocating the underlying data that manifested as a stain elsewhere. I can't actually alter the data underlying your clothes to repair them." She pauses to think. "I could try retrieving you another set of clothes? If you can give me exact coordinates for another set of your clothes, I might be able to transfer the underlying data to translocate them here. Uh, I might be able to teleport you another set of clothes here, but you'll have to tell me where to get them from."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:10 am

Trauma does strange things to the mind. Some holds things together, then break down with the shakes after it's all over. Others are stuck in a catatonic state, their mind having run away deep inside to protect itself. Especially with severe paradox, a mage may fall into a Quiet, locked within themselves. Sometimes the thought processes focus on random and trivial things, like singed and torn clothes. What possible utility could that serve at a time like this? It doesn't have any utility, which is the point. Their consciousness can't handle the true problems at hand.

None of these responses to extreme circumstances is wrong, or bad. Moralizing places judgment here where it should not. These reactions are not because of weak willpower, or lack of strength of character. These are biological responses, hardwired into the structure of the brain. And even if it wasn't, isn't the wellbeing of the individual the highest goal? If for their survival this reaction is necessary, wouldn't that inherently be acceptable and good? Even if inconvenient, then those still with their faculties intact could be seen as responsible to shepherd those in need.

One can see the varieties of human responses in those around. Master Robertson appears to be in control, if more somber and quiet versus his previous show of palpable authority and power. His orders are gentle but still carried out, either because they make sense, or perhaps some are just used to following his guidance and follow instinctively.

As Ulrich keeps the path to the exit as cool as his limited skills allow, Geyser and others streaming life energy into the wounded, and the multitude carrying the incapacitated, the attendees of the Council meeting manage to make their way out of the Museum of Modern Art without further casualties. Most everyone drove here or took public transportation. For lack of a better immediate option, Robertson shuffles everyone into the nearby parking garage for shelter.
Can it do more than remove pesky stains?!?! That's hilarious. "Even makes julienne fries! Will not break!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inzkJ34VMfk
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:00 pm

Inside the garage:
Geyser channels Life just a bit longer into himself to be able to talk comfortably in spite of his facial burns. Hell, whatever you do, don't show me a mirror! He ponders the cruel irony in what happened to Jade Dragon. Even if he isn't sure what that was, for a brief couple of seconds, he gets a hard look in his eyes. The kid looks like he's ready to go to war.

"Jade Dragon and her brother help people who are struggling, hurt, some who have been through the ringer. Whoever did this didn't bloody just our noses. They attacked everyone she's ever helped. And more. I only know that there are a few gangs around the wellness center that our coven kicked out of the area. The idea that one of them could have attacked us like this, if they had the power a long time ago, is beyond me. Just an option, if we want to cover all the bases."

"I should talk to my mentor. Was Somma with us in the circle? I-I wasn't looking."
Last edited by RorytheRomulan on Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:58 pm

Pixel should her head. "If some street gangs had that sort of power, we'd probably see it in a lot less subtle ways than how they used Jade Dragon to try to foment conflict within the Council. From what I saw, I'm not sure what attacked was even human. Maybe they were once."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:30 am

Dexter sat quietly against the walls of an empty lot within the garage, idly shuffling his Tarot cards while he waited for transport either public or private to ferry him back to his apartment. He hadn’t said much else after making his inquiry to Pixel about addressing the ruined state of his clothes, other than to provide whatever information the Adept would need to ensure success in her conjuration. He had even gone as far as to pull up a picture one of his vest and slacks that he’d kept on his phone for reasons he couldn’t be bothered to recall at that moment. After that the Orphan casually told her to give it a shot whenever she had the time to do so before they all departed.

Others might have thought it rather strange for someone to appear so fixated on an issue as seemingly trivial as the state of their clothes, especially in light of the traumatic events of this evening. Dexter however thought his reasoning to be quite logically sound. From his viewpoint, the less he looked like he’d just walked out of a raging wildfire despite not being anywhere even remotely near a stretch of woodland, the less likely he would draw unwanted attention from others whether they be random bystanders or worse, those with sinister intentions who undoubtedly were watching the events unfolding on this gathering from the shadows with keen interest.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu