Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:29 pm

"Wow, that was amazing!" babbles Pixel enthusiastically. "I didn't know it was possible to do things like that, without ... you know ..." She trails off, now faintly embarrassed.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:05 pm

That's very cool! I've actually been watching a bit of close up magic stuff recently. :) But that one was amazing.
"Thank you! That's so nice," June replies excitedly with a happy grin, and picking a coke off the table. "It's all training, you know. Months and months and more. If we have a bit of time then I can show you how to make things disappear before the eyes of someone watching straight at it."

After a few sips of the cold drink that leaves the glass half-empty she puts her hat on a side table before sitting down. "And as much as I appreciate you all here, I don't think you're here just for the show. So to cut to the chase, I'm glad to see you, Jon, I think we haven't exchanged much of a word yet and... umm... Ulrick? Father Ulrick? I'm June. June Hale." She stands up again to offer a hand to the priest, realizing that her outfit may be a bit revealing she blushes slightly but otherwise unfazed. " 'Spades' is just the surname for the stage."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:08 pm

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you all in a less ... dangerous situation," Jon replies in his melodious British accent. "I"d like to thank all of you for the help you gave in fighting the snow maiden. I don't believe any one of us could have defeated her alone."

"But that's all water under the bridge," he adds with a smile. "I'm on the mend, and I don't think any of the rest of you were badly injured. Ironic, really, that I was the one hurt. I'm an emergency room doctor in my day job. Physician heal thyself, I suppose."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Dexter stands off at a slight distance from the others. Only June, who has known Dexter for as long as she has, would note with great surprise that the young man was holding a cold glass of water rather than something with even the slightest hint of alcohol. It is an unusual sight to say the least, moreso the fact that Dexter was stone cold sober in a club setting of all places.

The half-romani's expression was decidedly neutral, observing the interactions in typical wallflower fashion. While one hand held his drink, the other was planted in his pant pocket, idly fiddling with his tarot deck. A corner of his mouth twitched briefly at June's prowess with playing cards being brought up. Dexter was no slouch himself (at least in his opinion anyway), but his brand of card usage hardly called for any flashy gestures like June's did, something that he lamented upon from time to time.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:29 pm

"Ulrick will do just fine." The priest seems slightly awkward, but earnest, as he acclimatizes to the new environment. "I'm sorry if my appearance earlier was too startling. I'd been traveling in the Spirit World, on my own business. Or so I thought. I felt a ... disturbance in the Tapestry, and went to investigate. I'm thankful to the Lord that He brought me there in time to help." He shakes hands all around, reserving a nod for Dexter who seems to want to stay in the periphery.
As far as I can tell @Karstil is still checking in. Not sure why he hasn't posted yet. So moving things along, so Socialization can continue.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 am

"Ulrick is is then," June says with a smile to the priest and a look to Dexter which makes it turn into a far more beaming one. The young mage wipes her forehead with the sleeve of her blazer before taking a seat herself. "You traveled through the Spirit World? Like you would through a park or through the streets? And I am quite glad you showed up when you did. Otherwise things may not have gone the way they did and despite their being injuries nothing worse."

"As for us, we were just there by chance," she gestures towards Dexter and a quick nod of her head towards the rest of the gathered. "Sometimes things seem to be a coincidence but they really are not. However, before we met I never really encountered a spirit or ghost before. Not like that, malicious and everything. Did any of you?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:47 pm

"UH, well, yeah, I've actually encountered a spirit before," says Pixel, thinking of her companion Glimmer. "Before I woke up to my ... abilities actually. It was one of the things that started me down the path." She really doesn't want to share about Glimmer with people she doesn't know well but can't make herself lie either.

Somewhat hesitantly, she adds, "You know, we're not going to be the only ones curious about the snow woman. The local Council is going to want to know what happened--they'll come around and have questions for us sooner or later." She assumes the others know what the Council is, not having had much contact with Orphans other than Eric White before.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:11 pm

"I've seen spirits at the monastery that I studied at," Jon replies. "But that was under very controlled circumstances, and the spirits were not hostile. So no, nothing at all like the other day."

"And Pixel is right, the Council is going to want to know what happened. It might take them some time to track us down, but they'll be here with their questions. It would almost certainly be better for us if we approached them rather than waiting for them to approach us." Then it occurs to him that some of the mages in the room are Orphans.

"You do know who the Council is, right?"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:29 pm

"If you mean those shady people we encountered a bit ago, well, we did a good job avoiding them and to be honest I have very little interest to make an acquaintance with them... but Dexter noticed one of them, not me," she looks over to her close friend.

What Pixel and Jon said about spirits is also curious. For a moment she camnot help but wonder if the man who first guided her hand across strings of possibilities could be considered one too.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:44 pm

"I'm not sure which shady people you're talking about," Jon replies. "But the Council of Nine Mystic Traditions isn't to be taken lightly, at least by those if us who belong to traditions that recognize its authority. And to be fair, by and large they do a good job of policing the magical world - among other things, they work to keep the Sleepers from learning too much about us. Two of the most important rules of the Council are to protect the Sleepers and to be subtle in our Arts. I suspect it's these two rules that they'll want to talk to us about. They'll want to know how the Snow Maiden came to be at the festival, and they'll want to find out if we defeated the Snow Maiden as subtly as was possible under the circumstances."

"I feel certain that we can give proper answers to these questions," he continues. "And it would speak well of us if we approached the Council to report this before they managed to track us down."