Chapter 1: __________ is Magic

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:02 pm

"The Council". A complicated term, loaded with meanings different for every person, and varying between groups and time periods. If just a council of Hermetics, it would be extremely organized, with clear lines of authority and established procedures. Choristers would be much the same, although with religious overtones. A 1990's gathering of Virtual Adepts would be almost unrecognizable, with constant contests to prove hot "l33t" one was, and no organization to speak of. It has matured (along with its adherents) into a very admirable meritocracy, where knowledge, skill, and cunning directly equate to how respected you are. They still eschew rigid hierarchies, but they've come to recognize the need for some sort of structure, however loose it may be.

But even more than the power wielded by one Tradition upon its adherents, there is the combined power of the Nine Traditions, which is what Jon and Pixel have spoken of. There is the official Council of Nine Traditions, where each Tradition holds a Seat of Power. But what is being spoken of here is more likely to be the local Council, where Mages from the area gather to ... well, it depends. Hopefully they meet to strength one another, to pool resources, battle common foes, correct mistakes, and work for the good of the world. Other times it devolves into politicking, power struggles, backbiting, gossiping, or good old scapegoating. Give a human ultimate power, and he's still a human.

June and Dexter's knowledge of the Council would at best be second-hand, from June's Mentor, Eric White. The man retired from active Mage life years ago, for reasons undisclosed, and has little to say about the Council, and what he is willing to say wouldn't contain glowing recommendations. So the Orphan's knowledge of what the Council truly is is full of holes, and somewhat negatively biased. And from what June said, she might be mixing them up with other groups.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm back on-line, but still on the road, so expect slow posting from me.
Pixel says, "What's this shady group you encountered? It could be the Council, but it could be something else. I mean, I don't trust the Council any more than I trust the mundane government, but just like the government, you can't just wish it away. We'll have to deal with it some way or other and if you've had previous encounters with the Council, it would be good to know what they were, so we can prepare ourselves, and if they were someone else, that would also be good to know, so if there's some other threat in town, we can prepare ourselves ..." After growing increasingly excited, Pixel's voice suddenly just sort of trails off and she looks mildly embarrassed.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Dexter put aside his half full glass. "It wasn't the Council, though I honestly I wish it was." A haunted look worms its way into his face. "Had no idea who it was at the time, sigh but now? I'd bet anything it was one of those soulless Union bastards." Dexter turned his head to the side, looking almost as though he were about to spit in disgust. Instead he picked up his glass and drowned out any further invective in a mouthful of cold water.

"If the Council knows about what went down at the festival, then the Union knows as well, no question." he continued after wiping his mouth. "Goes without saying we've made some waves and we need to make damn sure we don't keep floundering about unless we want those spooks breathing down our necks any time soon."
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:46 pm

"I suppose the first question," Jon opines, "is what we tell the Council, and when." He looks around the room to gauge how his comment is received. "For my part, I recommend we speak to them soon and tell them plainly what happened. What do the rest of you think?"

Karstil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Karstil » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:26 am

Ulrik is listening to the conversation an waits till all the others have spoken until he takes the word:

"I have to support Jons words, it will look better if we contact the council and I would like to say that we should do it trough one or both of them, with ties in that direction." he directs his look at Pixi and Jon.

"As for what we tell them, I see no reason to lie. So, yes we should tell them the truth. And what's also of interest is, is the question, have you planned or already started some investigation in the matter yourself? I have, at least professional interest in the three witnesses." this time his gaze wanders over all present.

"And now the personal matter: yes, I already encountered inhabitants of the Spirit realm, some friendly, some not and some outright hostile. It is part of the Job for me. And Yes, I travel in the Spirit realm, but I'm not so strong at the moment as to do it without help, that's why I'm grateful to the Lord that he opened me a way to support your efforts to stop the snowwomen."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Pixel looks like she wants to ask Ulrik questions about his travel in the Spirit World, but reigns herself in for the time being. Instead, she broods for a moment before saying, "I guess the smartest thing is to be up front with the Council--it'll look the least suspicious. But that doesn't mean they'll believe us right away--they might get it into their heads we're not telling them everything or something. But we'll have to deal with them sooner or later, so better sooner I guess, but we should be prepared for some degree of trouble."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:43 pm

"I'm less familiar with the Council here in San Francisco," Jon replies. "But I know how to contact them. I'll be happy to present our story to them if that's what people want. And may say that I hope that Pixel is wrong. There's no reason that the Council should disbelieve us. With luck, they'll give us the benefit of the doubt."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm

"Well, if those Union and the Council are that different it may be easy to say which is better," June says with a glance to Dexter. "And I only speak for myself that I have no real interest in either of them. After all, I trust in the judgement of Eric and he does not talk much about any great alliance of people with our kind of skills," the stage magician adds with a clear look of doubt on her face. However, she adores the old man far more than anyone else, at least as far as Dexter knew from being around her for years. "If they have any interest in us they might approach us first."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:51 am

Pixel says, "The problem is that while you might not consider yourself under the Council's jurisdiction, they probably consider you under theirs. It's not exactly an optional thing. Ordinarily, I'd say, if you don't want to talk to them, it's your call, but we're all mixed up in this and things'll probably turn out better if we all stick together."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:12 am

"Is that really a problem though? I mean, none ever came up to me and said 'stop that' from these council people. And if they tell me to, I would not stop helping those who cannot defend themselves from things like we saw," June shrugs. "And I never really met many of well... us so far. Right now, this is the most I have ever seen in one spot. Have any of you ever dealt with them?"
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."