Chapter 2: Balance in all Things

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:34 am

Altar/book, cont'd.)
Unaffected by mere pages, or rather anything unconsecrated, Autumn decides to flip through one of the holy books, although she doesn't understand. Afterward, she becomes bored and leaves it alone, seeing as she can't even read it.

Her curious probing in the sunroom is limited to the darkness before dawn, and dusk, but it gradually ceases.
Geyser muses over Pixel's and Glimmer's discoveries. "Who knows, with the Glowing Ones. Maybe they just figured out how to not look super sketchy. But vampires going virtual? That's... a new one. Well, they're very secret, maybe whatever has the power to 'eat data' is lending it to them? Is Glimmer going to be okay on the 'net?"

He turns to Autumn and says something in Cantonese that makes her knit her eyebrows. "Hey, they're cool. I couldn't keep it from Robertson. Remember him? Old, long beard, weird eye problem?" He pulls at an invisible beard and points to his own eye. Autumn huffs, and as he continues, she becomes disturbed, shaking her head and shrugging. She says something very brief back.

"Well, that's all news to Autumn. She's said all she can about the problems in Chinatown."

After Geyser relays Ulrich's question about meddling in the affairs of her undead - and very distant - relatives, Autumn nods grimly, as she answers while Geyser translates.
"Yes, very easily. As far as I'm aware, the Hungry Dead don't know of your presence in the Golden Gate City. In the Middle Kingdom, your 'mages' have a reputation for being strong and ruthless. I'm still new, and I'm trying to build a niche for myself in the City, so I would prefer no involvement. If it can't be helped... I would ask that you be sneaky about it, or be careful."
Geyser replies, "Don't worry - I'm sure we'll figure something out."

After this, she speaks to Ulrich in English: "Ulrich, with cross, I can not sleep. Bad dreams. I put in sunroom. Later, I do that. Hǎo duì wú zhù."
(machine translation: I am very sorry)

Geyser cringes for her. "She told me about this. She believes you meant well, but your gift is disturbing her rest, so she's going to leave it in the sunroom from now on."
glowing ones = real internet slang for the FBI. I thought it could carry over for Technocracy agents.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:17 pm

Pixel orders copies of the Dhammapada and the Dao De Jing and puts them on the altar when they arrive. She identifies as neither Buddhist nor Daoist, but those religions resonate with her more than the Abrahamic ones and they seem like the will help enhance the interfaith nature of the altar.

Pixel says, "If worst comes to worst, Glimmer can take refuge on my phone, but I should talk to her about she needs to keep safe. Thanks for reminding me of that--I was so caught up in the information she was sharing, I didn't think to check in on how she was doing." Pixel feels like a fool and a bad friend.

"So ... how do approach our Chinatown problem?" She leans back and stares up at the ceiling, then leans forward again. "I think we should start by talking to the folks in the Chorus and Brotherhood who have Chinatown connections. I think that's our best bet of getting useful leads to follow." She rubs her forehead. "I just hope we don't end up getting in over our heads in following them. This sounds like ... a very big deal."

After her conversation with Geyser and Ulrich, Pixel calls up Glimmer on her phone, "In my worry about the news you told me, I forgot to ask how you were doing. I'm really sorry--I feel like an idiot and a bad friend. Are you safe? Is there anything I can do to help you out? Make you some kind of sanctuary? Are there other emergent AIs other like you who might also be in trouble?"

Karstil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Karstil » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:22 am

Ulrich smiles in remorse, at Autumns opening: "There is no problem at all and an apology is not necessary. I certainly didn’t mean to cause you any trouble or inconvenience. I’ll put a jewelry box on the altar so you can keep your cross there." which he will do after the conversation.

To Pixel’s question, he replies:
"Let’s start by being careful.", a warm grin on his face." Now seriously, the idea of asking the Chorus and the Brotherhood is certainly a beginning but we should also consider the other Cabal. I mean, Magi from the other Traditions will also have contacts in Chinatown. In addition, for example, the explorers could, perhaps, help with the Virtual Realm, Especially the virtual adepts there."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:47 pm

Pixel nods. "We could do that. But we can only follow up so many leads at once. But, yes, let's ask around and see what people know or have seen in general."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:42 am

Glimmer is an unusually powerful AI entity, even when comparing amongst other VAs that partner with them in their work. She is worried and concerned about the disruption of the virtual Web, but is not afraid. She can confront or avoid most anything when things are normal, and is being more circumspect because of the chaos. And if things go to hell in a handbasket she does have refuge within Pixel's computers.

The cute Pixie AI has been hesitantly contacted recently by a nascent intelligent program, one having achieved true intelligence only a short time ago. It manifests as a red of interlocking cubes, constantly shuffling around.
While the new AI tried to be circumspect, Glimmer has the raw power and cleverness to trace its path through the Virtual Web, tracking it back to an acquaintance you may have mixed feelings about - Hash of the Unifiers, the Virtual Adept you 'saved' by your investigation. Glimmer hacked into his home mainframe (snooping seems to be a common trait of Glimmer and Pixel ;) ) and finds he has been making subtle efforts on your behalf since you last saw him. Nothing big or glamorous - scrubbing you from public video feeds in Golden Gate Park, and removing your names from solicitation lists markedly reducing the amount of spam mail and email you receive. His cube-presenting new AI companion reached out to Glimmer solely on its own initiative, curious as to why Hash was helping people he never directly contacts.
Geyser is the best connected of the group, his security responsibilities having led to direct or indirect contact with most everyone in the active Cabals in the area. He knows the Militants have an information expert on the team, but a very circumspect one. He hasn't met the person, or even heard their name. Much easier to contact immediately are the Explorers, definitely the umbral experts of the Cabals. Yacatecuhtli has been busy being the caretaker of her cabal-mate, the Etherite Doctor Electrick. You saw him sit on the floor shaking and weeping just from the scuffle in the common room at the Manor. The trauma of the Attack was orders of magnitude worse, and he is not close to recovery. Yaca is not an expert in the realm of the Virtual Web, and has been distracted into not noticing the changes in the umbral denizens until you brought them to her attention. She is willing to give what advise and expert opinion she can provide, and even open portals through the Gauntlet, but is not willing to leave the good Doctor and go with you.
Ulrich met a kindred spirit during the party, Imam Akbar of the Philosophers. The good-natured man is the leader of his Cabal, pulling together a small group of eclectic thinkers and researchers. Eclectic being a mild descriptor if the black-clothed dagger-tongued Null is a good example of his peers.
The Imam has been deeply concerned by the up-tick in antipathy and violence within the City, identifying two houses of worship that have been damaged. Masjid al-Tawheed, a small Islamic Mosque, was vandalized by what turned out to be pig feces smeared all over the doors and signage, and a threatening note left claiming responsibility by a Christian Nationalist organization. Not far away the Chinese Congregational United Church of Christ was fire-bombed during services, with the masked perpetrators screaming racial epithets at the parishioners as they fled for their lives, and yelling at them to go back to China. Imam Akbar notes that most of the attendees are Americans, born and raised. He has reached out with Philosopher resources to help rebuild. Akbar confides his internal struggle with Ulrich, enduring such hatred day after day, and somehow staying productive and charitable. Worrisome on a different topic, consecrating Holy Ground has become increasingly difficult as of late, and even just maintaining such refuges is taking a not insignificant amount of time and effort.
I hope I correctly targeted generally the people/topics you wanted to start looking into. I made a List below of the overall Events/Topics that the group has talked about so far as an organizational aid.

Summary List of Current Events that have been brought up by the Group:
Technocracy (cover job of the Attack)
Gang Activity (with possible Triad involvement)
Houses of Worship (vandalism/arson)
Virtual Realm (native disruption and void anomaly)
Near Umbra / Reality (feral spirits, phobophages)
Asian Vampires in Chinatown (power struggle)
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Pixel is pleasantly surprised to find out Hash has been helping them out. She tells Glimmer, "I suppose there's no harm in telling ... does the new AI have a name yet? ... telling them why Hash is helping us out." She scratches her head. "I don't think I'll tell the others about Hash, at least not right now. I ... I guess I want to respect his choice not to let us know he's helping he us. He might have good reasons, even if I don't know what those are."
I was just reading the section in the rulebook about the Digital Web and I don't see anything in there about Pattern Spiders. Is the information somewhere else? Or did you make these critters up?

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:09 pm

Geyser says hello to Electrick, but nothing further and lets the man heal on his own until he feels like talking - just a courtesy. He thanks Yacatecuhtli for the offer. Being able to move through the Gauntlet could prove useful later. His ability to affect it might come in handy.

The young Life mystic decides to open up a bit more socially with the rest of the Brotherhood, asking to be introduced to some of the Militants, ostensibly to become familiar, but really hoping to learn the name of their information gatherer, and then gather more information about this person in his own time.

Levi speaks up again to warn Geyser that he nearly ended up like Electrick, and that he should be more careful.

(Without looking, I think it's Investigation)

Karstil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Karstil » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:09 pm

"I understand your conflict, even though I am lucky not to have been persecuted or attacked by my skin color, gender or faith. It is probably one of the most difficult tasks that our profession has: reciprocate this people, who meet us with hatred and contempt, still with God’s love and kindness. " Ulrich answers the imam in this conversation.

"I have an idea about the attacked faith houses, but you have to tell me if it could work:

We should bring the two houses of worship you mentioned together. They are not far apart from each other. Let us make a cross-faith statement: The faith of this city cannot be intimidated or repressed by this! In such a case, we stand together and support each other against such cowardly actions. The important thing is that we show that we DON’T hate, that we don’t offer the perpetrators a platform to spread their ideas. Let’s show that we pity them and hope they find the help they need. We want to break the hate cycle.

We should also include Saint Francis of Assisi. Not only is he the patron saint and namesake of this city, he also showed a peaceful dialogue between Muslims and Christians 800 years ago when he spoke to Sultan Al-Kamil about peace and faith.

Also, purely from the symbolism, it would be good if one of the other concerned centers, one of the Jewish faith, could be brought in on this. Every center must be newly consecrated, Perhaps every center can carry out its ordination on another day and the believers of the others come to support it, even if it is only moral support. And in the end, we make a total worship where the three faiths, and all the others we can motivate, come together to consecrate a central place, a park or so, with goodness and friendliness.

Moreover, this could have a secondary effect: I hope and believe that this, especially if we have a good media support, activates the faith in this city and that could help against the eroding of our blessed sanctuaries.

And perhaps you will find new strength and power for yourselves to continue to endure and rise against hatred and violence."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:29 am

Hash's AI companion hasn't yet chosen a name for itself. Its self-awareness is new, wandering the Digital Web like a child in amazement. It may be brilliant from a computational standpoint, but doesn't have the life experience to understand things in their full context. When Glimmer tells it their history with Hash it doesn't seem to comprehend any of the political or social aspects, but it can understand companionship and basic empathy. And that is sufficient reason for it to see why Hash it helping you out.
Pattern Spiders are mainly a Werewolf: The Apocalypse thing. Servants of the Weaver strengthening the Pattern Web, the underlying structure of the universe. But I like that idea so much I made Digital Web versions of them.
Dr. Electrick does his best to converse with Geyser, but keeps significant physical distance from the Akashic when they speak. If the topic stays clear of anything related to physical violence he can handle it. If it veers towards anything like the Attack or security or whatever he looks like he's about to throw up and faint.

The Militants are the largest and most forward-facing of the Cabals, and so many of their members are practically public figures within the Mage community. Master Robertson as the Primus and Sparrow as the head of magical security and law enforcement are known by all. Toymaker is an inventor that actively collaborates with the other Cabals and can be seen frequently visiting their Chantries or even homes. Their information expert is a mystery, however. The only moniker they are known by is Blackjack, 'attending' meetings in the form of a hologram of an Ace of Spades.

As a security officer in training, of sorts, Geyser finds out through Sparrow the process for contacting Blackjack over the internet. It is a complicated process of random internet searches and website sign-ins, something he keeps an eye out for.
I moved last month and am still unpacking. I haven't found my Campaign Book yet and I'm going off memory, so I may have to Ret-Con this naming answer later. Sorry about that.

Investigation roll Successful. You've got the contact method.
Ulrich and Imam Akbar are of like mind in trying to pull together the communities of faith in San Francisco. Symbols by themselves mean nothing inherently, it is the value imbued upon them by others that gives them power. A press release statement and a joint coordination of worship could be seen as some as worthless 'Thoughts and Prayers' instead of actual action against tangible threats. Vandals and arsonists aren't going to be stopped by that. But the clerics see the potential power of bringing a community together to face these troubles head on, united by common cause.

The good Imam identifies a Jewish synagogue as few blocks down from the Masjid, Congregation Keneseth Israel. He doesn't know the resident Rabbi but will check through his local contacts to make the connection.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:15 am

That's a mild shock to Geyser. That old hermetic's a Militant? He thought the Militants were chiefly a Brotherhood cabal. Of course, there's a whole world of magic out there he's only barely become aware of, and much more beyond.

On one day, Geyser brews some tea and offers it to Electrick, something to make him feel better. The steam rising from it has an ethereal quality to it. Definitely magical and remedial in nature, intended to energize and mend.

Now that he's got the broker's contact, Geyser reconsiders. Initially, he wanted to sniff out turncoats or conspirators in the Los Angeles mage cabals, but on second thought, maybe it would be better to hold onto it and ask the rest of the "Questers" what information they think he should contact the broker to learn.

For now, he asks Autumn to go out and make connections with the "Hungry Dead" and say hello to the Triad (as a courtesy), and listen to chatter in their territory, and find out if the vampires have any muscle jobs they'd like a solo to do for them (whatever she can stomach), to take more opportunities to see what she can learn from listening passively and from the nature of the jobs she takes.
Pattern spiders sounded like a reference to the real-life bots called "web crawlers".

Geyser's cup of tea uses the Life sphere and the Spirit sphere, to have a placebo effect on the body and to mend Electrick's soul, or at least soothe. There is no Mind magick in it, although it would probably help if Geyser was a Mind mystic.