Character Creation

Mage: Ascension War OOC forum.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Character Creation

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Computers - Much like Driving, I assume you have everyday competency with normal things. I use computers every day for an office job, but I call tech support if something breaks. I also have no programming experience. I'd be fine statting myself out at no dots in Computers.

Ordeals/Exertions - There are certainly basic things you can ritualistically do to prepare for the day. I'm not sure you'd want to try to fully replace Foci though. If you had an adventure in the desert or something, you'd be unable to do Magic.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:31 am

Computers: sounds good.

I am putting freebie points in Arete, but Freediving isn't my only instrument, I have picked others: Yoga, Herbs, Meditation, Voice (throat singing, the reverberating chest kind), Laboratory, and Brews/Potions by extension. Maybe I could carry a ground mixture of otherwise mundane herbs in a pouch that I can pull out and chew on before a fight, if I needed it in a pinch. Does that work?

(fun fact, I looked up the belladonna species that appears in Kingdom Come, used in the manual save drink called Savior Schnapps: it's deadly nightshade lol)

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:03 pm

You kinda have to put freebie points in Arete to get those higher Spheres. Lol. You can't have a higher Sphere than your Arete rank.

Herbs, Voice, and Potions look like the ones you could actually use 'in the moment', which are good. I had a Euthanatos character in the past that had Incense as one of his Foci. To use it in the moment he had a little matchbox sort of contraption that a match, striker, and incense inside. He'd basically squeeze it, lighting the match and burning the incense inside. One-use sort of thing until he could later reset it and put in a fresh match and incense, but it was a fun Focus to use. Feel free to be as simple or creative as you please. It's your character!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."