Moderator: ManWithDoor

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Character Creation

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:10 pm

Damn that's the same link... can the GM create a link when in the game for invites?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:03 am

Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:33 am

Okay, I've joined.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:44 am

Permissions given!

Also, wouldn't hurt for Hermit & Muskrat to upload Portraits for their characters. :)
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:53 am

Where should I do that? I really have no familiarity with Roll20 and I don't see an obvious place for character portraits.

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:00 am

I'd like to provide a portrait for Dexter, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a picture of a half-Romani with bleach blonde hair.
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:23 pm

Muskrat wrote:Where should I do that? I really have no familiarity with Roll20 and I don't see an obvious place for character portraits.
When you're in the game on Roll20, there should be a couple buttons on the top right. Our characters are in the journal there and you can edit the character there.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Hermit wrote:I'd like to provide a portrait for Dexter, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a picture of a half-Romani with bleach blonde hair.
You'll notice that in the player character thread, I actually have two portraits for my character, since what I have in my head looks like a combination of the two.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:07 pm

Hayabusa wrote:
Muskrat wrote:Where should I do that? I really have no familiarity with Roll20 and I don't see an obvious place for character portraits.
When you're in the game on Roll20, there should be a couple buttons on the top right. Our characters are in the journal there and you can edit the character there.
Okay, I found it and uploaded the picture.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Not sure how I got to this spot in my mind, but I started to gravitate towards the idea of someone who's never been the protagonist in their own story. What happens when a person used to fading into the background is able to rearrange the set?

Let's say a stay-at-home dad, shotgun wedding in the last days of high school. Wife is smart, scary smart, but being able to calculate Pythagorean triples in your head doesn't make you better at safe sex. She's on the fast track to Genius School, so he takes on the responsibilities of parenting.

The gamble pays off, as Mrs. PC graduates college summa cum laude and gets a job at one of the tech giants in the Bay Area. The twins (every teen parent's nightmare) and this guy follow. Money is tight, but child care is expensive enough that he keeps at it, with much tightening of belts.

But around the time that the kids are 10, things change. The wife develops new system architecture for, I don't know, large-scale irrigation systems. Turns this into a startup, Wellsprng, and she starts bringing home what economists refer to as f*** you money. It's a good life, and it gives him the opportunity to keep a better house and to give his children more of the best things in life.

This advantage lets the twins come into their own. Rich and supporting parents help nurture hidden talents. Those talents advance at leaps and bounds, and he cheers them on every step of the way. It isn't long before they're ready to strike out on their own adventures.

So, by the age of 35, let's say, our guy's family is flourishing. Rebecca, the daughter, is apprenticed to a blacksmith in LA who makes swords for high fantasy movies. Isaac, the son, has a free ride at Oberlin for the violin. Anna, the wife, is putting in 18-hour days expanding Wellsprng to provide software solutions to water scarcity.

Empty nest hits pretty hard. For the first time since his teens, he's got free time. There's only so many hot yoga classes, so many PTA meetings, so many kitchen remodelings you can do before you have to start dealing with the Lurker.

Maybe it's always been there, but he never really had time - or desire? - to think about it. Or maybe that first perfectly quiet night lets something step in to fill the vacuum. Either way, he confronts what he comes to understand is an Avatar of his magic - yeah, apparently, magic.

Thoughts? If it sucks I can do something else.