Moderator: ManWithDoor

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Character Creation

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 pm

It's an interesting idea. Which Tradition do you see him being affiliated with?

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 01, 2018 7:29 pm

Honestly I'm very impressed by the Character Bio. I really get a feel for the person described. As Muskrat said, were you thinking of being drawn to a Tradition? Either because you sought them out, or they found you? Or were you thinking an Orphan? Or something else?
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue May 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Torn on that one.

In terms of what his interests might be (the powerful hidden world around us and its alien inhabitants), the Kha'vadi seem most sympathetic, but I'd originally envisioned him as a white guy, in keeping with the affluent suburban stereotype, and a white guy latching onto a tradition defined by indigenous heritage feels...gross?

I may keep him as an Orphan, sympathetic to Kha'vadi philospphy but speaking of his own praxis in terms of the Arts and Crafts movement, which derided mass production as soulless, emphasizing the beauty of simple things made well and with care. Everything has an essence, and when we treat other essences with care and respect, even seemingly destructive acts can instead be collaborative and transformative - the tree that's cut down to make wood that builds a safe and loving home, or the satisfied rumble of a well-maintained classic car burning gas.

Am I making sense? It's been a while since I've done a lot of research on hylozoism or design philosophy, so I may have skipped some mental steps. Or am I missing something in the Traditions that fits more comfortably?

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 01, 2018 8:28 pm

My view of the Dreamspeakers is rather closer to the Wiki version (http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Dreamspeakers_(MTAs)). The Tradition is kinda like how Europeans carved up the Middle East after the fall of the Ottoman Empire (you'll go here, and I'll go here, and I'll take that), creating nations that didn't have any actual common values. The Dreamspeakers were basically the Miscellaneous group, where groups that didn't fit into the established orders were pushed in to. One doesn't have to interpret it just as Aboriginal culture.

One can go for one of the better-known paths/groups, of course, but I see the Dreamspeakers as those who are champions not just of nature (like the Verbena), but of spirituality as a whole. Especially in a modern age focused on materialism, soulless application of science, and external markers of success, the Dreamspeakers fight for the soul of mankind. For the spiritual connection that bonds everything in the universe together. That creation is not just ... stuff, but alive. That not just humans or animals have a soul, but the earth, the air, even concepts have a consciousness. That true Enlightenment would be breaking down the artificial barriers between spirit and the physical world.

While a number of other Traditions might also craft this speech, for whatever reason I think of the Dreamspeakers (and other times the Celestial Chorus) when I listen to this segment from Babylon 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4KVcV_ ... 813E1&t=0s
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed May 02, 2018 5:56 pm

In real life, I've read some stuff by Jurgen Kramer, a man of Scandinvian descent, who advocates Europeans recreating and reclaiming their own indigenous heritage, looking to what we know of the pre-Christian practices of the Norse and Celts. Someone like this might with the Dreamspeakers. I can even see a run-of-the-mill Wiccan doing so, particularly if they were conscious of the dangers of cultural appropriation.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Wed May 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Both strong points. A fresh-faced Dreamspeaker could do well.

I can start banging out a character with this. Any big pitfalls to avoid or choices that are necessary to fit the chronicle?

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed May 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Nope! You be you. Go through basic Character Creation, then we'll get you up to speed EXP wise with the others. While this is more of a character-driven Chronicle, there are definitely opportunities for combat, should you not actively avoid that path. So having something you can do in a fight would be useful, even if that's not your strong suit. Also, don't bother with Chantry/Sanctum/Node at this point. Use your Background points for stuff you actually want.

Rook
Level 0
Level 0

Post by Rook » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:32 am

OK, I've got a draft character sheet (in the form of a Google Doc) ready for your perusal, ST. How shall I get it to you?

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:19 pm

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:26 am

Original post
http://www.dicefellowship.org/viewtopic ... 10#p365268

Computers
What's your ruling on everyday use of a computer? Does someone need a dot to use a laptop for work, watch entertainment, etc?

Instruments
I'm taking Ordeals/Exertions, and the specific thing he will use is freediving, meaning he'll dive into the water and hold his breath for as long as he can before swimming back up, and repeat. Submersing himself in a filled bathtub will do in a pinch. How practical would this be in play? The way I view it is as something he'll do to "charge up" before he goes about his day.

Physical Therapy
Medicine Specialty will do. He's studying to provide physical therapy as a legitimate profession (meaning he can also travel for work if the plot forces a change of scenery). Currently, he's just a college student with an internship. (however, he was/is receiving training on the side. I'm still molding his backstory.

Overall, his ranks related to his career pursuits start at around 2 dots to reflect his budding experience with the intent to gain more as we go on. He's also a college athlete: Physical attributes are his Primary.

@Hermit @Muskrat I'm taking Life 3 to heal others, and Spirit 2 for punching ghosts. Feel free to suggest what Sphere to put the remaining in, I'll take it into consideration.

I've also got a bare-bones draft for a Techno saved. I'm still going with the Akashic, but I'm a manic character creator and I couldn't resist.