Moderator: ManWithDoor

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Character Creation

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:38 pm

A supplement for Mage Ascension? Pretty sure they don't release any supplements for that as they started Mage Awakening back in '05 as the successor of Ascension... or did I miss something there?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:48 pm

They are actually releasing supplements for the 20th Anniversary editions of the Old World of Darkness core rule books. There's already one out for Mage, called How Do I Do That?, which seems to be a guide to how to accomplish popular but non-obvious magickal effects. The section in the core rule book on familiars promises there will be more information on how to make them in an upcoming supplement. Vampire: The Masquerade and Werewolf: The Apocalypse 20A both have a few supplements out as well. Which makes sense, since the Old and New World of Darkness game lines often are quite divergent from each other. Mage: The Awakening, with its Gnostic assumptions, looks totally uninteresting to me and is missing part of what makes Mage: The Ascension interesting--the clash of radically different worldviews. And there's probably enough fans who prefer the Old World of Darkness to the New to make it profitable.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:10 pm

Yeah, what Muskrat said about the M20 supplements.

Let's just wing it when Pixel chimes in on things. The Familiar entry makes it clear that any knowledge that the Familiar can bestow is tied directly to their Rating. I just wanted more of a statting out (in case someone takes a swipe at her), since it says if the Familiar is killed, you're (temporarily) super screwed. Hard to threaten something with no stats.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:38 pm

Given that Glimmer (the familiar--Pixel is my character's nickname) is an electronic being who doesn't exist off-line, what would she roll to defend herself against attacks? Computer, since that seems to be the skill for hacking, etc.?

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:21 pm

They actually make supplements, that's awesome!

Odd question here but why would Glimmer not work when offline? I am no computer crack and of course data transfer would be impossible but things like that still run offline... I'd assume that a familiar in particular would.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:03 pm

I guess she could work off-line, though she'd probably feel trapped. What I meant is that she needs to be on some sort of electronic device though--she doesn't have a physical form.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:08 pm

Ah, yeah that of course. But who doesn't keep a power bank or two close by. ;)

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:27 am

Other editions made it clearer on whether or not a familiar is a Physical or Spirit-only Familiar. This really barely gives us any information at all. *harrumph*

As for access to your Familiar: Are you ever not in a 4G area, or no Wi-Fi in sight? That's rare as hell, as that's just for access to mundane internet access. You have Super Science / Hypertech. It would specifically take magical jamming to keep you from having access to your Familiar. Even cracking all your Tech would likely only inconvenience Glimmer, making it harder to communicate with you.

As for actually attacking her, it would basically either be a Computer/Hypertech roll to jam her reaching you via your Tech, or a Spirit / Interdimensional Science Roll to actually harm her.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:28 am

@Muskrat - I didn't see any changes to your character sheet yet. Planning on getting those 4 Freebie Points back, and spending them? :)

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:35 am

I was waiting for clarification on the familiar before updating the character sheet. Also, I actually will have one less freebie point--I moved Enemy down one level and I only spent the points for Tie once--as I said above, I was trying to double up two groups on one Tie (not purposefully, just not thinking too hard about it).