Prelude: Forced Labor

In the final days of the Clone Wars Dark Lord of the Sith, Palpatine issued Order 66. The clone troopers throughout the galaxy turned on the Jedi and began killing them. Darth Vader marched on the Jedi Temple and with the 501st Legion eradicated the Jedi Order.

Yet not every Jedi was caught in the purge as a small number escaped into hiding. The Inquisitorius was born, Force-sensitive agents working for the Empire to hunt down the remaining Jedi and wipe them out. For nearly twenty years the Empire has expanded without Jedi opposition, until now...
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri May 26, 2017 3:36 pm

Star Wars
Things have been hard in the Galactic Empire since Order 66 for those sensitive to the Force. Harder yet for those few Jedi that survived the purge. Only a handful managed to escape the slaughter, and those that did have had to remain in hiding and stay on the move. The Inquisition, a group of Force Sensitive agents controlled by the Emperor and Darth Vader himself have hunted down most of the remaining Jedi including Gavin's master, Saryn Mil.

Its been years since that moment, when Gavin was tossed across the hanger bay by the Inquisitor. Saryn stood her ground against the powerful Force User, but in the end she was no match. As she was slain, her lightsaber skidded across the floor to Gavin's feet and he picked it up. K5 bent down and picked up the lightsaber, and the unconscious Padawan in his metal arms. Gavin would have died in the spreading fire if K5 hadn't saved him from the sudden explosion in the fueling tanks of the nearby ships that were damaged in the battle.

Unconscious in K5 arms, Gavin was carried to safety against the spreading flames and chain reaction of explosions. Luckily the Inquisitor was forced to flee in the opposite directions, but he won't ever forget that day.

That was years ago now, since then he's been on the run, him and K5. The two have dodged Imperial Patrols, given up the ways of the Jedi, and done what they could to stay out of the sight of Empire. Never able to make it to the Outer Rim, Gavin has drifted among the Expansion Region and the Freestanding Subsectors that have never been part of the galactic government.

For the last month Gavin and K5 have been working and living on Roxuli, and the Roxuli asteroids harvesting minerals from the asteroid fields. Its hard work, back breaking, but as long as they make their quota no one asks questions, no one bothers the former Padawan and reprogrammed Imperial Droid. Its a living, a hard one.

Things seem to be changing out in Roxuli however. Last week a cargo freighter bearing the Empire's symbol came into port and hauled off a large tithe of resources. Since then things have been tense, the quotas have gone up, and moral has gone down. Foreman Farlix, a less than charming Rodian, has demanded more and more from the workers, reducing rest shifts, and rationing free time and supplies. He's been on edge, under pressure from several sources and its trickling down to everyone.

Today Gavin and K5 are out on AXS-560, working on collecting tydirium, a metal ore key in making the near indestructible alloy of phrik. The area has light gravity, and a bio dome to provide O2, but not much else in the way safety features. A half dozen other workers are drilling out on The Ridge, loading transport containers to ship back to the main facility.
Welcome Eilandor a TetNak to this thread!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Fri May 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Gavin takes a brief respite from the laborious task of loading the transport container he has been assigned to this day. Wiping the sweat from his face via a tattered cloth wrapped arm, he gazes out into endless space. He is growing physically tired of this work, and mentally tired of staying a step ahead of the inquisition's shadow. With the empire's increased presence and demands on the mining operation, Gavin can foresee that both the former and the latter will grow increasingly more difficult. Not wanting Farlix to catch him resting as he too is under more pressure, he returns to loading his container. Glancing over to his companion K5, "Remind me to take your advice next time and opt for something a little less demanding." Catching a glimpse of Farlix verbally abusing another worker along the ridge, "I fear that oil bath you've been wanting may have to wait a bit."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri May 26, 2017 6:07 pm

K5 lifts up a heavy crate and lumbers over to a rolling conveyor belt. With a bang, K5 drops the crate and briefly watches it speed off into the distance. The droid turns and returns to Gavin's side. "Master, your range of motion in your thoracic spine has lowered by a rounded five percent." There's an awkward pause, "Error in diagnosis. I would say your back will hurt tomorrow." The KX-Series Security droid picks up his blast utility to dislodge minerals from the rock face. The droid pushes the button and rock flies about haphazardly around the droid without K5 issuing complaint. His normal black sheen is matted with dust and debris, making him look a mixture of brown and gray. "Master, I do not believe this line of work is suitable a human. Tydirium is a volatile substance. I would be remiss in my duties if I did not remind you of this."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Fri May 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Shielding his eyes from some of the smaller rock fragments being thrown about, Gavin smiles and shakes his head. Kneeling down to gather the larger pieces that are to be placed in the container, "I fear you may be more human than you know. You actually rounded a number for once."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri May 26, 2017 6:48 pm

"Master, your preferences on this subject have been made well known. It was in fact five point two-three-six-percent. Error in diagnosis. Master, my programming is suggesting frustration." K5 throws his free hand up into the air oddly, as if making an exasperated motion. "My previous configuration in regards to medic training is incomplete. Your back will be sore tomorrow."

He blasts the rock again.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Gavin frowns. His back is sore now and he takes little solace in the fact it will be more so tomorrow. Seeing that Farlix is still out of earshot, "In all seriousness K5, with the increased imperial presence, we need to start contemplating a plan B."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:18 pm

"Imperial presence is quite prolific, master," K5 answers, "It will be very difficult to find worlds without their presence." The droid turns and throws a few more rocks into a large carton and slumps slightly with it's head tilted down to peer at Gavin. "But, I am not programmed for rock blasting, master, almost anything would suit my programming more." K5 does not give an indication as though he as some sort of plan that he's hidden so far.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Gavin once again keeps a look out for Farlix as he kneels down to grab more rock fragments for their now half-full container. "We need to get off this rock is the short of it. Perhaps we can secure passage on one of the freighters with a more desirable destination?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:30 pm

"White sand beaches, master? I can research the most popular holiday excursions if I have access to a terminal linked to the Core Worlds."

It almost seemed like a joke, but droids really don't do that, do they?

"Either way, I concur, this work is not suitable to a human body. You will injure yourself severely if you continue working here. I will spare you the probability."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:14 pm

The rest of the day is more labor and more chatter, but the pair manage to hit their quota with just enough time for a short break if they hurry back. The grav lifts on the cart is turned on, and the pair start pushing the load back toward the processing center. The hum of a ship coming down into low orbit over the dome ring through the dome shaking things a bit.

It flies in overhead of the dome right above the pair before heading for the port in the distance. Its some form of transport, just about the size to carry a dozen men or so. As it banks to make the landing approach to the port you spot the logo of the Empire along its flank.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring