Chapter 2 - Dark of the Moon

“...in the Riddermark of Rohan the Rohirrim, the Horse-lords, dwell, and there are no horses like those that are bred in that great vale between the Misty Mountains and the White.” - From The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Run by the Loremaster WBWeather

Moderator: Wbweather

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Wbweather » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:41 am

Hereweald approaches the gate and looks for some sort of bell or knocker. Failing to see one he calls out as loud as he can. At first nothing seems to happen, but after several minutes Torwin sees movement within the palisade. The sound of someone walking through the crisp layer of snow draws slowly closer. The light of a torch can be seen burning in the night.

An small opening in the gate swings open and the torch is thrust through lighting the ground around your party.

"It is not customary for us to open our gate to strangers in the night. Identify yourselves", a voice speaks from the other side of the gate.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:46 pm

"We are on errand of Eadulf, Reeve to the King. We were told that the steading of Léofold and Merwyn was known for its hospitality. My name is Torwin," then gesturing he adds, "This is Hereweald, and Istril."
Insight: to see if they are just being wary of night visitors, or if something about the situation seems off.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:29 pm

This is an encounter, so I will roll insight for all of your bonus dice and use the results to give you information.
Insight Rolls
Torwin
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 6t,2
Totaling: 13 with 1 success

Istril
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 3,4 Bonus die (3)
Totaling: 15

Hereweald
Feat Die: 1*
Success Die: 3,3
Totaling: 7

One bunus die for Istril.

The voice from inside the gate replies, "We have not received any word from Edoras about guests. It is true, we often have given rest to those on errands for the king, but it is late and these lands are not always safe. We must have more proof than just the word of a stranger before we open our doors to wanderers in the middle of the night."

Istril does not get the sense that anything is out of the ordinary. I seems that the man is mostly concerned by the lateness of the hour and the sudden appearance of the company, unexpectedly.
You need to persuade this man to let you in.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Spend Hope for the Great Success & AP. Then pass one of the dice to Istril, since she has a 2 in Persuade and also has Piercing Sight.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Hereweald leans over to to him companions, "Did we not recieve a writ or papers from the Reeve about our duties? Torwin do you have those? That should be enough I would hope."

The Rohirrim smiles back, "Wise to be cautious at this hour, but it is cold out here and our horses need a rest. Hold a moment, and you will see we are no threat to our own good people of Rohan."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Torwin quietly hands the writ to Hereweald, "We indeed received one. But how to show it to them across the closed gate, in the dark? I would rather not hand it over. For we too, must be cautious."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Nodding Hereweald agrees with Torwin, "We have a writ of passage..." he holds it up, "It bears the seal of the reeve. I don't know if you can see if from there or not." A smile on his face, "Come down perhaps and we can let you see it. I am, however not allowed to turn it over to anyone else, Reeves orders, my apologies."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:38 am

"Please, we come on an errand per orders of the Reeve!" Istril calls out, her voice noticeably accented as she attempts to make herself heard in the night. "My companions speak the truth, but more than that, our errand is one of peace and mercy. It would be very helpful if you would shelter us within your walls this night!"
Persuade! I'd like to use that die from Torwin as well please.

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:08 am

Istril - Persuade (TN 16)
Feat Die: 3*
Success Die: 5,3,3
Totaling: 14
Spend a point of hope to succeed.
The man seems to hesitate, unsure whether or not to believe you. "Ealdulf sent you, you say? You have a writ from him?"

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 pm

"It is as you say," Istril confirms. "If you still be wary, my companions can draw off some distance and I alone will wait at the gate to present the writ to you."