Book 1: Crownfall, Act 1: All The King's Men

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Book 1: Crownfall, Act 1: All The King's Men

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Dressed pretty much the same, but in the highest quality versions of his black leathers and sable silks Thoedrix sparkles with silver studs and adornments. The whole thing looks military, or nautical, but also fine and rich thanks to the Lady's aides. He ambles along with the rest of the company, his pin on his lapel, his eyes on the items being hawked by the merchants. "Is this authentic? No? Where did you get it?" He's fondling a piece of gold jewelry claimed to be from Saventh-Yhi the ancient Serpentfolk kingdom long lost. He notices the new arrival, the man not nearly dressed as fine as the others.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Mercutio looks like he belongs, though not quite in the queue, but he makes the best of the situation by getting well acquainted with those around him. And figuring out just how receptive Aurelia is to a little bit of flirting, nothing more than passing enjoyment, business and pleasure shouldn't be mixed too much.

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:51 am

Aurelia spends the time before the ball, reading up on publicly available information on the various notables. Then, she reserves at least one hour to preen and primp, and to get ready to positively dazzle everyone at the event.

When she arrives at the line for the staff, she ends up directly in front of the middle-aged man with the beer belly. Th enchantress certainly draws stares with her new outfit, which looks extravagantly expensive. As promised, it is floor-length, but it manages to cover even less than her clothing earlier today. Most of her pert lower cheeks are exposed as she sashays into the line, and it is amazing how the top portion stays in place.

Aurelia responds to light flirting with casual flirting of her own, but it is clear she is currently paying attention more to the business at hand, which includes getting to know the surroundings and the people.

"The sun may be setting, but the event is about to heat up, because I shall be present."
Aurelia's outfit:

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:24 am

"Oh," the middle aged man says. "I've just arrived in the city. Are they handing out free food and drink here? What is this queue for? Ah, I forgot to introduce myself. Apologies. I'm Brother Bertram of the Church of Cayden Caillean."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Crichton's eyes alight on a pin the brother is wearing. He arches an eyebrow.

"Welcome to Oppara, sir. Bertram Mondegreen, perhaps?"

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:11 pm

The hawker trying to sell Theodrix the claimed Serpentfolk relic spins a grand tail of adventure for this trinket. Discovered by treasure hunters from a wreck on an unknown island, appraised in Absalom itself, and through a variety of middle-men has come to be available for a one-time, special price. Theodrix knows when he is being swindled, but could certainly enjoy the interaction regardless.

Just as introductions get underway, the guards in the area start grouping parties together by their Pins for easier processing. You notice that those associated with the higher ranking Nobles and Senators get fast-tracked to the front, while those with less prestigious positions (or in your case - extinct lines), get to stick with first come, first served.

The guard that groups the five of you together pulls you aside for a 'random inspection' away from the line. She insists you move over to the base of some steps. You don't know if you'll be keeping your place or not.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Crichton steps close to the guard, his tone level and hushed.

"I will save you the effort of an inspection, ma'am. I am carrying some Andoran currency I haven't had time to exchange. I gladly relinquish it to you, as an officer of the peace."
Appraise to determine the appropriate amount to bribe, and bluff to deliver the offer in a plausibly deniable way. I have up to 150gp to offer

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:04 am

"Indeed. Bertram Mondegreen. I think we have a common acquaintance." He points at the pin he is wearing which looks the same as the ones the others in the group are wearing. "I just got a short briefing as I have just arrived. But it seems, we have a common cause."

When the guard pulls them aside, he smiles at the guard, leaning on his walking staff and waits for the guard's response.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:06 pm

With any luck the guards will take the bribe, but if not he hopes his few hidden items will remain so. If approached personally he attempts to double talk his way out of being searched by a combination of flattery, complaints about loosing their place in line, and distraction using Aurliea's outfit.
Some Bluff
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:44 pm

That bribe was coming up awfully fast, but at least Crichton was subtle about it. Mercutio for his part is more interested in getting things over with than anything else. Their place in the line could be reclaimed if these others didn't cock it up.