Re: Book 1: Crownfall, Act 3: The Silent Blade

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Re: Book 1: Crownfall, Act 3: The Silent Blade

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:04 am

Astraea isn't wrong about her lack of stealth, but it turns out that Theodrix is really good at this thing. Curious on where he might have learned such things, but now isn't the time to inquire. Keeping enough distance from the patrolmen, they pass by without noticing a thing. Approaching from the north seems to give you the most cover from sight, and luck smiles upon you as some fool forgot to lock the door. It opens with little sound, giving you a view of the inside.

Barrels, boxes, and crates fill the vast space of this open warehouse floor. Paths zigzag through the mess. Your view to the west only goes so far because of the stacked boxes, but you can see two men have a table set up in a larger empty space. The table is covered in a mismatched deck of harrow cards being used as part of a makeshift game. Maybe they're on break, or just lazy.

A set of metal stairs to the east ascends to an office, whose large window overlooks the floor from twenty-five feet above. A pair of five foot wide metal pipes leads from the warehouse floor up into the base of the office. Mercutio is a true Renaissance Man, and notices something doesn't really look right with the exhaust pipes. As the building's construction and packed dirt floor imply, there shouldn't be any basement or other level below in need of ventilation.

On the zigzag route up to the office there is one ruffian standing alone the path, idly rooting around in the boxes. They hold little of value, as he pulls out seasonal decorations, old clothing, books, the stock of business ventures that never turned a profit, or out-of-fashion furnishings and drapery not valuable enough to store more securely.
Successfully evaded the patrol outside, and slipped into the Central North door (see the Roll20 Map). So far you are undetected.

The guards in here look like Humans (or at least partially human, hard to tell without getting up close and personal), so if Mercutio wants to give some specifics on the Disguise check he can get good stuff done.
- Disguise Check: 16 + 9 = 25!!! If you want to pass yourselves off as some of these Guards, you can at least visually look the part. Or choose a different path, whatever you want. That roll is really good. Explaining the ratling would take some doing though, if he's spotted.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:50 pm

Theodrix nods to Mercutio, "Go say hello, I got your back." The man lets his companion go in, then slips as quietly as he can through the narrow path to stop just out of side of the guard rummaging around, "Featherslider" in hand, hidden behind his back.
Through Door Stealth S,SE,SE,E,E,E Draw a draw Featherslicer, keep it hidden
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:52 am

Theodrix successfully stealths in, drawing his weapon quietly. He stays low and quiet, making almost no noise. The nearest guard is still rooting around in a box of old clothing, unaware of the intruder.
For those who may be having trouble seeing the Roll20 Map, here's an Image.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:13 pm

Bertram prays silently to himself, then takes a sip from his flask.
Get ready to cast divine favor as soon as more people go in.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:08 am

The warehouse has far too much cover in it for good shooting, so Astraea once more draws her blade, ready to follow at Theodrix's signal.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:41 pm

On cue, Mercutio moves forward, acting like he owns the place, and is very important, too. If you don't belong, act outrageously like you are some superior they do not dare question.

"Finding anything interesting?" He simply asks in low musical tones, with a hint of interest suggesting that there may be something very special of interest to the namby-pamby persona he takes on.

Hopefully giving the man enough to think about that he does not see the rest of the ambush coming.
I am guessing this is what Theodorix&co wants, so let's roll with it.Got +11 Bluff if relevant.

Let's spend a point of bardic music for fascinate (DC 15 I believe 10+4 (cha)+1 (half level))

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:44 pm

Theodrix almost laughs at Mercutio's attitude, but he says quiet and hidden, ready to pounce like a cat (burglar).
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:07 am

It's a wonder how Mercutio can put his pants on, with those great big balls he has.

Having seen the clothing that the guards were wearing outside, he has quickly managed to put together a convincing equivalent. And in the poor light inside the warehouse, the guard can't tell that Mercutio is a fake. "I wish! I swear this is the shittiest and most worthless crap I've ever seen bothered to be boxed up. It would take more effort to box these up than I'd get trying to sell it later." He shakes his head in disgust. "What merchant would do this?"

The more Theodrix hears him talk to Mercutio, a worm of a thought enters his head. If all this stuff is worthless, and their Benefactor fled here, the warehouse section must be a front of some sort. The true base must be hidden somewhere, and given the excessive tubes leading to the roof there must be a basement underneath them.
Disguise & Bluff holding! The mook thinks you're one of the other Guards, and is not alarmed.

GuyWithSword
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GuyWithSword » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:55 am

Aurelia whispers to the others, "I have a hat of disguise, so I could disguise myself as another guard. We are searching for some sort of hidden entrance right? Another pair of eyes would beneficial."

Assuming the others are fine with this plan, Aurelia will do her best to create a disguise using her hat (gain +10), looking like one of the guards. She also has a garment of many sleeves, so her outfit shifts as well. Then she will enter and try to seem like she fits in.
I'll try to level up tomorrow, but my disguise bonus is a +14 with the Hat. My Bluff is a +12. also use Sleeves of Many Garments in conjunction with a Hat of Disguise, if that helps at all.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:36 am

"Obviously a ruse, keep trash in most of these boxes, frustrating for anyone not knowing where the good stuff is." Mercutio offers. "Quite clever, could almost admire it, but not so if having to turn the whole place upside down."

He was good, but he probably couldn't keep the man distracted forever, Mercutio is careful to have his attention to the boxes and away from where his companions would approach from to silence the mook.