Book 2, Act I: Songbird

As the political scene in Taldor explodes into chaos, heroes take on the mantle of agents, advocates, and saboteurs working for Princess Eutropia to help secure her claim to the Imperial throne and prevent the Empire from collapsing in on itself in civil war. Will they grow from relative nobodies to powerful politicians and spymasters in the deadliest political arena in the Inner Sea?

Run by the GM ManWithDoor
Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Book 2, Act I: Songbird

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:52 pm

"So what I think we do is that one guards our trophy from any scavengers, two-legged or otherwise, another accompanies me to requisition guards to take over and show them the way -doubt you want to stand over this corpse all day- and sending the servants to get taxidermists." Mercutio hopes the cow understands what it means for his chances of escape to leave just the one guard for the corpse "Don't want anyone claiming the glory of this grand prize, I will find someplace to recline with a good drink, waiting for the gossip to do it's work to send admirers eager to hear the story."

This seems to him to be the best way to play the game set before them, regardless, waste no time to get the story out.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:44 pm

"Unfortunately, I am not well-versed in healing," Bala replies. He thinks of Matravash, and her wisdom. He turns to the farmer. "Do you have suitable clothes underneath the costume? I do not know how far away your farm is, but I imagine your current appearance would raise some alarm among anyone you meet on your travels."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:56 pm

Emilia gives a nod to Mercutio. "I'll stay here to guard the monster's carcass, then."

Emilia turns to Moffis and offers him a potion from her bag. "Drink this before you go. It'll heal you right up. And I should hope you do have something less bloody to wear, lest the hounds sniff you out again."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:50 pm

Moffis tears up as the Dame hands him a magical potion, never imagining that someone as high as her would deign to allow a peasant to even hold such an item, let alone use it up. He hesitantly takes it, needing multiple reassurances to actually pull out the cork and drink it down. Within seconds the claw lacerations all across his arm close up, causing him to gasp in amazement. "Thank you, thank you! My farm is to the south, not so far. Just outside the village of Stachys."
The village of Stachys is connected to the Betony Estate, so looks like you saved one of your own vassals!
----------

Mercutio doesn't have to backtrack very long to come across servants who followed along the party's path, awaiting to receive them with clean towels and mild drinks to refresh themselves before returning to the Palace. They are surprised to be pressed into service in carrying an actual kill, and joke not-so-quietly among themselves that the young noble must be exaggerating and they'll only have to drag back a particularly large or deformed stag.

They shut right the fuck up when they come into the clearing, and see the Iron Lash of Meratt. A manticore can't be confused for a regular animal, so they quietly go about gutting and cleaning it like anything else, lightening it up enough to carry the carcass together as a group.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:21 pm

The act of puffing out his chest comes rather easy to Mercutio, although it's not exactly hard to be proud when you actually had killed a Manticore, still there is a certain way in which it must be worn to stay in character to keep up with whatever charade he was supposed to play for Bartleby and crowd. Best stay mostly true to oneself, then exaggerate the parts you want people to remember. A swaggering big game hunter he could do.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:26 am

Before the servants arrive, Moffis leaves towards his home, thanking you profusely for saving him, and offers free butter and cream when next you visit.

-----

Arriving back at the Palace, the appearance of the carcass of the Iron Lash causes a great commotion, the 'harmless and fun' hunt resulting in a truly impressive trophy. Mercutio acts the part of a swaggering big game hunter, accepting the awe and praise with a wide smile, and sharing a dramatized version of the battle.
Mercutio gets 1 free Diplomacy check to Influence all VIPs: 21 (Count Lotheed & Baron Okerra = +1 Influence Success
Titus Lotheed-Casava, cousin of the family, returns from the hunt with two peasants hobbled by an arrow to the thigh. As he captured both his own quarry and a neighbor's as well, he is declared the victor. According to the rules, the points were for dressed-up peasants, not manticores. He receives a jade bear for his victory.

While the servants take the manticore to the tannery to begin preserving it, Baroness Legate Vernum approaches, her 'resting retired commander face' not as firm as normal, there being an air of curiosity about her. "Congratulations to you on your triumph, nobleman Mercutio. You and your retainers are to be commended." She casually looks behind you, and arches an eyebrow. "But where is your official quarry? I note a decided lack of a marked and wounded peasant hobbling along behind you."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:16 am

Emilia claps a comforting hand on Bala's shoulder, then moves forward to clap for TItus. "Well caught, Ser. The lesser creatures that prowl the forests of Meratt shall never forget their fear of the powerful knight that caught their kin. It is truly a shame that the mighty Iron Lash got between us and our silly cow."
If this counts as an Social Action, I'll use Persuasion. No ulterior motive, this is Emilia letting out her inner harpy. I want to try and sour Titus' victory next to our amazing accomplishment, and gain more points other nobles, or just raise their overall mood toward us. And as a result, likely enflame the rivalry with TItus further.

At least one person deemed appropriate moving up from Indifferent would be perfect. Adella and Onora immediately spring to mind. Nicholaus would be a distant third, but it would be a good buffer for anything we do that he does NOT like. I'm sure that embarrassing Titus will not go over well with one or more members of his family, but fortune favors the bold!

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:46 pm

"It seemed more important at the time to prevent our great prize from being stolen by some would-be opportunist than to worry about our standing in such a petty contest." Mercutio sticks to the excuse he made up on the spot. Casting a glance over at Titus as to validate having those concerns.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:56 am

The Baroness' eyes narrow at the indirect response, but she appears to decide not to make an issue of it, as she turns away back towards the Palace. "Petty indeed. Good day." She pauses to look back at you one last time, weighing something in her mind, and then marches away with a lifetime of military precision.
1 automatic Influence Success with the retired Legate for not returning with a shot peasant. While she is intensely lawful, rigid in her support of the Establishment, she is of the opinion that responsibility goes both ways. The peasantry must support the nobility and the military, but in return they qualify for protection. Hurting them for shits and giggles is an abuse of power.
-----

The Feast of the Hunter

The evening's repast is a heartier fare, suitable for mighty hunters. As before, all food is paraded before the guests before preparation. A small orchestra plays during dinner, performing a variety of popular symphonies from great Taldan composers like Richilo Sampolo, Gwenavive of Mut, and Nalappho. The meal concludes with large slices of jubilee pie.
You have 3 Social Rounds to influence people during dinner. After this will be the Masquerade Ball where you will have 5 Social Rounds (and events happening during the ball). That will then conclude the Jubilee, and move us on to Act II.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:28 pm

The battle and the lie-down afterward have worked up Emilia's appetite again. She does her best to ignore whatever macabre show the Count prepared and focuses on the meal, and putting it out of her mind helps her get the pie down.

1. She leaves the group with a flute of ale to go and gossipmonger with other guards and knights local or familiar with Meratt, teasing rumors out of them to read the room before trying to confirm any that she's heard.

2. Next she looks for the Tribune again to speak in confidence. Not hard when the enterprising law-woman is a lot more comfortable away from people she hates and distrusts. Emilia comments on Titus' apparent satisfaction at gaining headway after his victory in the hunt. She leads into the fight with the Iron Lash, and asks if Onora knows Moffis, revealing his fate to her. The dame expresses her revulsion at the manhunt and Moffis as a chosen target, and the ghoulish exercise at luncheon and dinner, and she promises these distasteful practices and others unmentioned or unknown will end if the Betony heir comes into ownership of the estate.

3. Last, the dame shoots her shot at Bartelby Lotheed, commenting on the design of the palace and praising its construction. Would he care about such things?
Round 1: Gather info vs resident guards and knights. "Shotgun" for information and rumors.
Round 2: Influence vs Onora to move her to Friendly.
Gambling on an unknown Weakness or Strength, I suspect that confiding the situation with the manticore and the fate of the dairy farmer will soften her up. Carefully avoiding direct mention of the Count.
Round 3: Influence vs Bartelby!
I'm going to gamble on Engineering and see if he just excuses himself or engages. IF he does, tracking him toward Friendly again could at least soften the blow if the aunt ends up being worth it after all.