OOC Chatter

The OOC Forum for the War for the Crown game.
Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Re: OOC Chatter

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sat May 16, 2020 1:47 pm

I think it might be a better idea for Bertrand or someone to cast CLW than Theo quaffing a potion, given his damage output.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat May 16, 2020 9:19 pm

I'm not in a great position for that, Betram perhaps?

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:59 am

Might I suggest that when we're doing the room by room thing, we do whatever the first PC to say something suggests that we do when it comes to opening doors?

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Sounds good

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:01 pm

Proposal Accepted! Thanks for the good suggestion on Pacing.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:29 pm

Lets have a MO. I will search doors and portals for traps (disarm them if there is one), if not, unlock locked doors, then open door and let Fighter/Tank go in first, follow him in.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:47 am

Works for me. Rather than having to wait for "Yes I check for Traps, Yes I lockpick the Door" sort of things. Saves on time and Posts.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Reading to shoot someone as they are about to cast a spell triggers concentration if they do, yes?

And concentration appears to be a bigger deal in PF than it was in 3.5.

Mercutio is going to turn on the music anyway.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Pathfinder does allow for you to do a triggered action. Basically spend your Standard Action for a Readied Action with a trigger. "If they start Casting, I shoot them" or whatever. Can be abused if over-used, but unless it becomes a problem I see no reason not to allow it. Under normal circumstances (Casting Defensively, etc.) then Concentration checks are generally no problem at moderate to higher levels.
- Concentration Check = 1d20 + Caster Level + Casting Mod.
- Difficulty for standard Defensive Casting is 15 + 2x Spell Level. If you fail the roll, you lose the Spell. If you fail the Defensive Casting check you don't take an AOO, but you do lose the Spell.
--- So if Aurelia tries to cast a 1st Level spell, the DC would be 17 (15 + 2). She is Level 2 with a +4 Casting Mod (+6 total). So she would have a 50/50 chance to succeed. Taking the Feat 'Combat Casting' for the +4 thus makes a huge difference, as well as other things one can do to improve the chances.

But if someone gets hurt while trying to Cast the spell (shot while trying to Cast, continuing the previous example), then the Concentration check is often almost impossible to succeed on.
- DC for getting damaged while Casting = 10 + Damage taken + Spell Level.
--- So if Aurelia had taken that Acid Arrow while Casting, the DC to keep the Spell going would be 10 + 4 + 1 = 15, so actually easier than the Defensive Casting.
--- But you can see how fast that can Scale. Let's say she get's Fireballed for 15 damage, the DC is now 26! For trying to succeed on a 1st Level spell. So at higher levels this can be abused to have even a basic Ranger or something totally shut down a powerful Caster.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:59 am

I think Dagio has taken 5 damage rather than being on -5 Health.