Chapter 1: The Entrance Exam

In a world were 80% of the world's population has evolved to have superpowers and being a superhero is a prestigious profession aspiring superheroes must study and train to achieve their dreams, a dedicated group of youngsters have decided to do just that, these are their adventures.

Moderator: Hungry Xenomorph

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Silver Creek Academy is the premier hero school in the United States, located in the small town of Silver Creek, Virginia. S.C Academy, as it is often referred to, stands as the most prolific hero school in North America, strategically located about an hour away from Washington D.C, the school boast an impressive list of current and former heroes among its staff. Attending S.C Academy is often considered a sure ticket into the professional hero life.

The plane’s engines slow down as it makes its final approach towards the tarmac of Dulles International Airport in Washington D.C, the flight had been long and uneventful, with a couple of stops in the Midwest where more entry exam candidates where picked up. The plane stops next to it’s assigned ramp and the doors are opened. Hera picks up his bags at the carousel and follow’s the information that he had been given with his entrance exam invitation, the terminal is noisy and large groups of people move around going about their business, in the far corner of the terminal there is a large group of kids his own age and a couple of adults in suits holding clipboards and talking to the kids.

Hera approaches the large group and taps on the shoulder of one of the minders, she turns to him and immediately looks at her list without saying a word, flipping through a couple of pages before looking up and saying “You must be Hera! Welcome, please take a seat with the rest of the kids, we are still waiting on a couple of more people to arrive, it shouldn’t take much longer.” Without saying anything else the obviously overworked lady turned around to continue what she was doing previously. Hera looks around for a seat, the only empty one is by an aloof brown-haired kid who is intently looking out of the terminal’s window, on the opposite side of the chair seats an eager looking beagle. Wordlessly Hera takes his seat in between them. Around him there are about 30 or so other students, most of them looking either bored, anxious or a combination of the two.

The minders continue to look at their charts and talking among themselves, one pointing to his chart looking slightly worried after about 15 minutes the young lady who had been welcoming the group approaches them and announces “We are sorry that this is taking so long, we are still waiting for one more applicant, he should be here shortly. Please let me know if you need anything, that is what I am here for.” She gives the students a frail smile clearly marked by the stress that she is currently feeling. The monotony is broken up when a large crowd of people start congregating around one of the gates phones in hands, as the gates open the crowds start taking pictures, whatever is happening they are clearly excited about whoever is walking through the gate. As the excitement dies down a bit and the crowd dissipate, Pro Hero Frostbite emerges, a large smile on his face as some people continue to take selfies. Next to him is a muscular teenager. Both minders rush to welcome them, clearly this is what they had been stressing about. Frostbite amicably shakes their hands and they join the rest of the group. “Everyone! We are ready to go, please grab your things and come with us to…” as she is saying this she is interrupted by Frostbite “I’m sorry but our driver is waiting for us, we will meet you at the school.” Without waiting for a reply, the pro hero and his son exit the terminal and get into a large SUV. Bemused the minders are left speechless, “Uhm, ok, everybody please grab your things and come with us.” The kids stand up and grab their things as they do one of the kids say “can you believe this? We have been sitting here waiting for them and the pull this crap.” The kid voicing what everyone else was thinking stands up and grabs his bag, annoyed he says “I’m going to destroy that guy, making us wait like that, Who does he think he is?” Surprisingly the kid’s confidence can only be matched by his large stomach.

The group is ushered outside where a large expensive looking bus arrives and pulls open it’s doors, the kid’s bags are placed inside the storage compartments and people take their seats, the minders announce that the trip should take about an hour and plop on the front row seats clearly exhausted and frustrated. The crowd of kids becomes more agitated as the sights of Washington are left behind and the bus makes it's way towards Virginia.
Pro Hero: Frostbite
Hero Rank: 2
Quirk: Ice Manipulation

Elsewhere Arthur gets into the overly luxurious SUV with his father, the car is started immediately by the driver and they take off making their way towards the school. Martin’s smile leaves his face as he grabs a water bottle from a minifridge carefully hidden as an arm rest, he takes a long sip from the bottle before putting the lid back on it and setting it aside. He turns to his son, his face all business, “Ready for the exams? Remember you have been recommended, no need to worry.”
Feel free to introduce your characters and mingle a bit

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Chapter 1: The Entrance Exam

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 pm

The brown-haired kid has his earbuds in, occasionally casts a curious glance at the dog sitting in the chair until Hera gets between them. a slight turn of his head is what he offers in alertness and acknowledgement of his fellow student's presence, now that he can no longer gawk at the other one. The minutes-long wait after the hours-long trip doesn't seem to have made a dent in his patience as far as his behavior shows, though one mitigating factor appears to be music, as dirty, rapid-fire bass of dubstep can be heard faintly from one of the earbuds he keeps out to hear the minders clearly. At one point, one may hear some kind of high-pitched distorted kind of metal blare through, but with a few frantic jerks of his index finger it stops and reverts back to dubstep. He starts to frequently tap his phone with one thumb, and a sneak peek reveals that he's playing chess against the computer.

With renewed interest in the world around him, he stops staring outside and looks over at Frostbite when he shows up. He sighs, disappointed when the hero marches off with...another student? His protege? The music in his earbuds cuts out a second before he removes them and closes the game he was playing. Ignoring the outspoken brash teen is easy when you're this introverted anyway. Still, he eyes the boy with a newfound disfavor for a hot second.

With barely any effort, he lifts and carries his bags with a hidden strength and piles onto the bus with the others, and picks a seat next to the beagle, his bewilderment transforming into curiosity. To keep himself busy, he opens a browser on his smartphone to look up Frostbite and maybe learn about whoever the other teen was that he saw with him.

"Hi. Can you believe Frostbite just left without an introduction? I thought that was going to be the highlight of our day... You are a student, right? I find it very unlikely that they would allow someone's pet free reign during transit."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:26 pm

The beagle in an argyle sweater and tasteful collar has apparently stowed a carry-on bag beneath the seat in front of him on the bus - somehow - and is looking out the window when suddenly addressed.

Turning to his seatmate, he wags his tail and raises a paw to shake. A chipper voice seems to be coming from him, though his lips don't move to form words.

Yup! I'm here to be a hero. A nice one, though, not like that ice guy.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Walking along behind Frostbite is a handsome looking teen all dressed in the latest high society fashion . He keeps his head down a bit through the terminal, he's not as used to the paparazzi as his father is. Mirrored sunglasses, ear buds, and a high collar keep him in his own little world until they reach the car. Seated next to his dad, Arthur, better known as Arty among the Circle family sighs. "Do you think this is the best way to introduce me father? Some of the other applicants and minders might be a bit upset at waiting around for us only to have us avoid them all together." He takes out a can of cola from the mini fridge in his armrest, and holds it until it becomes frosty and ice cold. Then he pops the top and takes a drink.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm

The kid gives the paw a good shake and stifles a giggle. "Heh."

He raises an eyebrow and looks up in thought. "Oh, did he seem rude? I thought he might be in a hurry. What a letdown! But then again, I guess we'll meet some pros up close when we reach the academy. Sorry, my name is Chris."
Only just looked up the name I made for my character. It's the name of a real life actor! Argh.

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:36 pm

A cursory search through the internet reveals that Frostbite has a son, looking for a picture of him online reveals that his son is indeed the kid that was by his side.

Meanwhile in the SUV.

Martin looks at his son "Nonsense, i highly doubt that they were waiting just for us to arrive, besides they can't expect us not to make our own way to the the school. Martin leans back on his side of the spacious leather seat and puts his hands behind his head. "Don't worry about what they'll think, you are a Circle, that last name carries a lot of weight."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:53 pm

That's a cool name! I'm Borkules Mulligan.

Borkules' tongue lolls out as he looks around restlessly.

I can't wait to learn how the pros do it! I'm gonna solve mysteries and help people and it's gonna be great!

KrowsNest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KrowsNest » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Behind the two, was Hera, sitting in the middle of his seat, making no room for anyone else. He had his arms crossed as he looked out the window, watching the view speed by. After hearing Borkules and Chris talking, he glanced over at them, “Wonder if they’ll have us train with them. Love to see how tough that Shark or freezer really are.”

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 am

Chris smiles at the dog. "I'm looking forward to the same thing. Nice to meet you, Borkules." Wow, he's very...cheerful?

He turns around to look at the boy behind him. "I hope we're prepared for their level when we do. Does your quirk give you superhuman strength?"

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:17 pm

The bus ride to Silver Creek is mainly a boring affair, once the bus left Washington the landscape turned to low rolling grassy hills with very little in between to break the monotony, every once in a while a farm or water tower comes into view only to be left behind as the trip continues. Inside the bus is mostly quiet as most students opted to put headphones on and try to rest for the day ahead. After an hour or so the small town of Silver Creek peeks over the horizon as the bus changes lanes to get on the off ramp. Excitement rises within the bus as the vehicle gets closer to the quaint little town in Virginia, the landscape of which is dominated by a very large building located towards the back of the town. Many students lean on the bus’s windows looking at the picturesque town as people go about their daily business, many of which happily wave at the passing bus. Exam day has become a Silver Creek tradition and people have come to embrace the school and take great pride in boasting about living in Silver Creek “where heroes are made.”
The small town of Silver Creek

SC Academy in all it's glory
The bus makes its way towards the large building in front of it there is a large group of people waiting around the front gates of the school, the bus passes by the cheering crowd and enters the gates of the school stopping by the main staircase, immediately everyone in the bus start grabbing their things and filing out of the bus as instructed by the minders. After grabbing your bags, you are instructed to go into the building, once inside your luggage is taken by a group of staff members, they all make sure to put tags on the bags to make sure nothing is lost. Inside the group is joined by the young man that was traveling with Frosbite, as they wait for their formal introduction to the school. A group of well-dressed people approaches from a long corridor at the back of the room, the group of about 8 people are contrasted by the one person who sits on a wheelchair. As they get closer some of the faces are instantly recognizable, there is Hammerhead, the number one ranked hero in the nation, also the young upstart Quill Girl, who doesn’t look much older than anyone in the group. Once light shines on the wheel chair the gruesome façade of the man sitting on it is revealed. His body looks severely emaciated and his skin dangles in grotesque folds, he looks like someone who lost hundreds of pounds in an instant. Feebly the man raises an arm to all of you in greeting. “Welcome to SC Academy! I am Peter Worrell, proud founder of SC Academy, you represent the future of professional heroes and we take great pride in molding our pupils to reach the highest reaches of their potential and become great heroes. Today you will go through rigorous testing to determine if you are indeed SC material. Please follow the directions given to you by the minders and we will be seeing you after the testing is complete. I wish all of you the best of luck and once again welcome future heroes.”
For lack of a better description, and since finding a picture to relate this has been impossible to do, the best way to describe the guy on the wheel chair is he looks like someone stuck a straw into him and sucked out all of his muscles while the skin never retracted.

With that short speech the feeble man coughed a bit and the group withdrew to take care of him, Hammerhead and Quill Girl both detach from the group and join the minders to continue the tour of the facility. The tour is mostly a boring affair and by the end of it you are all ushered to a very normal looking classroom, this is where Quill Girl takes over, “Everybody, it is time to begin the testing process, the first part is a written exam, here we will be evaluating your general knowledge, please do your best, you will have an hour and a half to finish the test if you don’t answer everything you’ll be going home. Goodluck!" The contrast of the message and Quill Girl’s peppy delivery is a sight to behold, it can only be compared to a cheerleader who has had way too many Red Bulls telling you about a funeral. The group of students pile on and take their seat, once everyone is seated pencils are passed down, the test is a good 10 to 15 pages long, and the packet feels quite thick and heavy. As the clock strikes 11 am Quill Girl gives the go ahead to start.
Quill Girl - Yes she is absolutely modeled after Sonic the Hedgehog