Book 5: Act 1 - Those Who Tarry No Longer

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Guest of Eagles

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:33 am

Tet, you did get 1 bonus die, so you could use that, or you could do Inspire or Song 1 + 1 bonus

If I remember correctly, V, you might have to look this up, I think everyone but Finn has 2 bonus dice from being Inspired when we all sang way back when...not sure.

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

A Guest of Eagles

Post by shipwreck » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:29 am

Rathar stands stiffly but proudly, the awe he experiences hidden behind his eyes. He bows as much as he can and says, "I am Rathar, called Wood-goer, and I will be forever grateful to your people. Wherever I may go, I will remind my people of your goodness and encourage them to avoid pointing their bows your way."
Persuade to convince him of my sincerity, if that isn't a stretch

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Guest of Eagles

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:47 pm

One by one the group introduces themselves, each person bows, and shows the King of all Birds the honor and respect he is due. He's pleased with your words and actions, until it comes to Rathar, who's comment at once mentions pointing bows at his subjects and shooting them (or not shooting them). It puts a foul taste in his mouth for the Wood-goer, and even as Rathar tries to improve things he only stumbles and makes things worse. Relations between the birds and Men has never been good, and they seem unlikely to improve now.

Varuthil prevents Rathar from insulting Gwaihir any more by offering her services of healing and leachcraft. The Bird King cocks his head to the size and looks down on the elf with a single penetrating eye that gazes deep into the she-elf. "I am hesitant to trust outsiders, even those of the Eldar with the care of my subjects, but the wound that Gaerthor suffers it great, the orc-arrow is deep within his breast." He looks at Irime and then at Varuthil and nods, "I shall allow you to try your leachcraft with Gaerthor. First we shall speak here on the situation at hand, and what I should do with all of you."

I know that Encounters are always a tricky thing, so remember to refresh yourself with the rules on page 185 of the Revised Book.

We are at the Introduction Stage, this will determine who can reasonably take part in the interactions going forward. You can always elect a spokesman for the group as well.

This this case only Awe or Courtesy are used for introductions with the King of the Eagles.

RP. How does that come into things. I think generally good RP is rewarded, and bad RP isn't. I may use good RP to lower the TN of rolls, or to give you an extra point of Tolerance, etc. Bad RP or just plain old nothing RP you won't get anything but basic rolls.

Introductions: Don't forget, that just like you get a chance at bonus battle dice in combat, you get that Insight roll for bonus dice for encounters.

Aerth (let's assume he uses his bonus die)
Rolled:
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 4
Totaling: 14 Success

Borir
Rolled:
Feat Die: 8*
Success Die: 6t
Totaling: 14 with 1 success

Finn
Rolled:
SAURON
Success Die: 6t,6t,5,3
Totaling: 20 with 2 successes
-----------------------------
REROLL OPTION

Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die:
Totaling: 0
with 1 Auto Success

So - Gandalf 20tt = Yeah that's really good.

Pipkin
Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 1,3,3
Totaling: 7
with 1 Auto Success = Success

Rathar
Rolled:
Feat Die: 2*
Success Die:
Totaling: 2 = Failure

Varuthil (1 Bonus Die)
Rolled:
Feat Die: 8*
Success Die: 1,5
Totaling: 14

So those with successes in the Intro can take part in the rest of the conversation influencing the rest of the encounter if you so choose.

Interactions:

Rathar Persuade he's sincere and maybe clean up his failure a bit:
Rolled:
Feat Die: 1*
Success Die: 4,6t
Totaling: 11 with 1 success = Failure -- the birds just don't care for Woodmen I guess.

Unless you want to spend a point of Hope for a success?

Varuthil's Offer to assist in healing the eagle
Rolled:
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 4,5,4
Totaling: 23 = Success

Totals So Far
Tolerance 4
2 Failures (2 more and its over)

1 Success (we only count successes on Interactions, not on Introductions)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Guest of Eagles

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:28 pm

So the Courtesy I rolled didn't contribute to our success for the Encounter, it just enabled Finn to take part? I only ask because I'm wondering how the Extraordinary success helps. I would have expected additional successes or something.
Finn continues, "We cannot ask more than you have done for us. If you can perhaps carry us as far as you are willing, that would be more than we could have hoped. We must meet Elves at the High Pass, who will take Irime on the remainder of her journey. I don't know if you can bring us there, but we shall all be at your service, whenever you need our aid, little though it be."
Courtesy 3, re-roll Fate die, spend Hope on failure.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

A Guest of Eagles

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:50 pm

See the OOC Thread I started.

Looks like you actually have 9 Total Successes already!
Finn continues. "Yes we can bare you some of the distance you seek up the High Pass. However the Orcs have been stirred up in recent weeks. I can not have my kin take you over the mountains, but I will have them bring you higher up the trail. That is if you are light enough." He turns and gazes at Borir, "We will not bare those who wear such heavy armor and are too great a burden to my kin again."

"You shall be at my service? I was considering offering you a similar offer. Recently in my more far reaching flights south I have seen a new fortress on the moors south of the River Gladden. I do not know what it is, but I dislike it. It fear it shall prove troublesome for all good peoples of the North. If you run afoul again, you may call on the Eagle, and if we are within range, we shall come."

Finn Courtesy

Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 1,2,3
Totaling: 6
with 1 Auto Success

10 Total Successes
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

A Guest of Eagles

Post by shipwreck » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:35 am

I didn't read properly and thought we'd moved to Interaction. And the offer was help, not leechcraft ;)
Rathar clears his throat and decides it best to stay quiet for the present.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Guest of Eagles

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Yes, might as well save your hope shipwreck... We've already won the encounter.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Guest of Eagles

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:27 pm

Varuthil says, "When I have the chance, I will tell King Thranduil of your aid. I am sure he will be grateful and offer you his help in return should you ever need it." She pauses then says, "A strange fort south of the Gladden? We should certainly seek it out and spy on it. We have seen many hints of men serving the Shadow gathering their forces--this might be one of the places they are doing so. This is certainly a threat to all the Free Peoples."

She pauses and says, "Actually, I can try sending word of your aid to King Thranduil's lore masters now." She steps away from the others, then calls out to the wind. She sings into, telling it of the Great Eagles' help and asking it to bring word of this to the elves who dwell in the northeast of the great wood that lies to the northeast of the mountains.
EDITED to add singing to the wind.

The Speakers: Song

Also, use this the grounds for a Persuade roll to convince Gwaihir that we are sincerely grateful. I imagine this looks much less strange to the Eagles than it would to, say, your average human or dwarf.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

A Guest of Eagles

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Varuthil offers to share the news with the elves, and the Eagle tilts his head. She stands on the edge of the rock face as the wind pulls and tugs at her and sings into the wind. It is a strange song, one that you and only sort of understand. Her melody is clear, and the voice is true, but the words, oh the words are that of the wind and birds, or the sky and clouds, and you lament that you can not understand them.

Gwaihir then signals the other eagles near at hand, and two come and perch on the rock. "My subjects will now take you to see Gaerthor. You may ride atop, instead of clutched below, this time Varuthil of the Woodland Realm." Irime smiles at Gwaihir, "The other is for me then?" The King of all Birds nods, and the Noldor takes a seat on the eagle next to Varuthil, the pair are then flown up off the rock and taken to another nearby nesting place where Gaerthor lies wounded, and suffering.

Gwaihir is left with the rest of you, and still gazes at Borir and his heavy armor. "Well dwarf, I must say I did not expect to transport another of your kind so soon after assisting Thorin Oakenshield. Yet, like I said, my kin will not carry such a heavy load, we are not beasts of burden."
Varuthil
Song
Rolled:
Feat Die: 9*
Success Die: 5,6t
Totaling: 20 with 1 success

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

A Guest of Eagles

Post by Shurijo » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Borir rustles at the comment and then replies, "Then I'll walk." The dwarf says as he nods his head stubbornly.