Origin: A Night to Remember

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Origin: A Night to Remember

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:51 pm

"Thank you for the thought but I certainly do not feel left out. I got to notice something entirely new," June begins and stares into the dark, past the couch and the man on it. She smiles a bit to herself that Dexter decided to keep conversing instead of kicking her out to rest. Or at least telling her to let him rest in peace.

"Honestly, that does sounds kind of, you know, not wrong," she says directly, shrugging unseen in the darkness. Of course she does not know what Dexter saw and what it might mean overall, just that he is the source of something magical. The young magician just leans back against the closed door, and slides down it to sit down. "Sounds pretty absurd to any straight thinking mind but it's because you saw more than others. A whole web around me is surprising though as it seemed more like going along a thread and picking out the fibre that suits best. Did you... you know change something? I'm not some great wise sage so I only scratch on things for the most part. To put it a bit plainly, we could catch a bus to Vegas and play dice and I could break the bank before they try to put us into a hole in the desert."

"The other stuff, that wheel and man I cannot really explain but sounds concerning," June admits. "Illuninati bastard sounds quite concerning. The wheel," she repeats again. "It spoke to you like, I do right now? That is something I know actually. Not a huge one in flames but stripping those parts away, there's someone I occasionally hear and speak to. You might see that wheel again... I think."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Trader

Post by Hermit » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:19 am

Okay, now that I'm back it's about time I try and get back into the swing of things. Oh, by the way I watched Alice Through the Looking Glass on the plane ride home. Wasn't a great film, but their representation of Time as a tempestuous ocean actually syncs up quite well with an interpretation of how Dexter perceives the ebb and flow of Time's infinite streams and currents. Hopefully that helps with providing a better visual representation when describing some of his divinatory experiences. Anyway, back to the story at hand.
Another long silence ensues, though its cause stems more from intense rumination than some petty attempt at conveying the silent treatment. Dexter's ears can hear the rhythmic ticks and tocks of his clock echoing its monotonous cadence from its mounting on the wall. For a moment he swears he can hear a grinding metallic thunk as well, a ghostly aural intrusion privy only to the periphery of his own senses.

"I'm not sure whether you're just playing along or maybe..." the words trail off as Dexter considers his next words and thoughts carefully. Sighing deeply, he reaches over to flick on a nearby lamp, bathing the living room and it's occupants in a dim lambent glow. The poor lighting just barely frames the solemn look on the half-romani's face.

"...I didn't change so much as see. I saw... things that were, that are, that may yet be, if that makes any sense." His eyes momentarily avert from June towards some random stretch of shadowed wall. "As for the wheel, well, to put it bluntly, it looked exactly like the one on in my Tarot deck, only, you know, bigger and uh, on fire."

Dexter grimaces at the inelegant attempt at describing the phantasm and slaps his hands upon his knees in exasperation. "I mean, yes, it spoke to me, asked me questions and next thing I know it feels like a lock has come undone within my mind, I'm seeing things that make me question my sanity, I'm trying to flee for my life and, ugh, damn it all if I know what any of this means."
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:59 pm

"Heh," June chuckles softly and follows it with a sigh. She knows exactly what Dexter means. Not in detail but similar things had occurred to her in a time of distress. She cannot help but consider if this is how all of the mages come to understand and begin to be able to form the world around them. For just a moment a voice of concern makes her think if he is speaking the truth. Maybe he did shape something but is not telling her... But that would be unlike him. No, Dexter would not do so, her mind made up after just a second of thought. "I would not say it is a flaming wheel but on many days there's this guy, no one sees but me. Looks fancy all the time, almost more so than you but like, more like someone from old England. Tells me what to do and keeps pushing me forward."

"And I'm the only one who sees him every time he's there," she continues glancing from the light beside her friend to the window, almost expecting to see a familiar figure there. "I thought I had lost it, and didn't feel well, maybe if I ODed or whatever...." June hesitates for a bit before she speaks again. "Imagine I would have been the first to say something about things that are there but not. You'd thought I'd been crazy which is why I never mentioned it. See, for me changes happened things just went right. Figured I was lucky but I wasn't. I was picking things that seemed like there where two ways, or more, and I just put the one I wanted into place." Hidden partly in darkness, her hand slips into her pocket to grasp piece of metal she keeps on herself or within an arm's reach. "I guess what I want to say is, I'm not playing along and am trying to understand if you're going through the same thing. And there's tales of some who did who... blew up to put it bluntly. Or others. That's also the reason for me keeping close to you."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:29 pm

Dexter quietly soaks in June's explanation like a sponge in desperate need of water. Several times his mouth opens as though to say something, but immediately closes after, either because his companion has answered the formative query or because he does not wish to interrupt the cascade of information flooding from June's mouth and slowly seeping its way into Dexter's head. His face is unreadable for a time, only lifting a bemused brow at her mention of those who have undergone this awakening with... less than pleasant results.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. For a while Dexter stares up into the ceiling, lids heavy from a mixture of exhaustion and contemplation. "...You're right, I guess. Probably would have called you a lunatic before all of," his hand makes a dramatically sweeping gesture in the air in front of him, "this happened. I'm still not sure what to make of all this yet, but," his head swivels down to meet June's eyes with a determined look, "One thing I know for certain is this: I want to know more."

Dexter follows up on his declaration by producing his Tarot deck from his pocket, carefully sliding the stack of cards from the silken confines of the pouch into his open hand. Appraising the deck as though beholding it with newfound respect, emerald pools glimmer inquisitively in the direction of the stage magician. "Perhaps... we can learn more together." Nodding to himself, Dexter smoothly rises from his couch and casually approaches June. Stopping a couple feet away, the half-romani extends the hand unburdened by the deck of cards towards the young woman. "...Partners?"
''At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.'' - Lao-Tzu

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:34 pm

As Dexter gets up and his desire for more knowledge is spoken out loud, June cannot help but smile to herself. It is something she knows herself and even years after her own realization of what has happened to her and what she might be able to do. As he leaves his resting point to get back on his feet, she looks up to him and the offered hand.

"Growing alone is harder than doing it with someone," she replies and reaches up to take his hand. "I would not like to do so alone but I am not a mentor but rather a student. Well, maybe with a few more years of experience," June adds with a smile. "However, not by much."

Hermit
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hermit » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:13 pm

Gracing her with a half-smile, Dexter proceeds to clasp June's hand firmly as he gingerly hauls her up from her sitting position. "A good thing I never called you mentor then," he remarks wryly in relation to her earlier quip as he seals their little pact with a vigorous shake of their grasping hands. He glances back towards the clock. "Well, the night is still fairly young, though personally I think turning in early sounds like a capital idea."

Dexter's grip falls away. "You're welcome to head back out if you'd like, or if you'd prefer you can crash here for tonight." He gestures over to a doorway leading into an adjoining room bathed in darkness. "Bed and bathroom's that way if crashing here sounds more appealing. As for me," He kicks off his shoes and unbuttons his vest before promptly collapsing back onto the well worn sofa once again. "This will do just nicely."
So, @Manwithdoor, I think we're ready to wrap this prelude up now.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:35 pm

What a change just a few hours has wrought. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition, or moments of revelation. This had the feeling of both. A beginning of pain and desperation, yes. But what powers have been revealed, and mysteries discovered. A friendship renewed, with expanded purpose. Acquaintances no more, now Partners. A coupling of enlightened minds, seeking the Truth behind all things. At least for one night, Reality has changed.
Thank you Hermit and Hayabusa! You two rock. The other two need more time to get through their Intro Stories. Once they're done, we can move on to the Prologue (first adventure all meeting each other).
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:22 pm

"You know, I would be fine with the couch either," June smiles in the dark as the man gets to his place of rest once more. His words stuck in her mind. Perhaps she might one day be a mentor to someone but with only a few years of experience it would be far too early for it, she knows. It is an interesting and oddly comforting thought regardless to think that there might be an apprentice and a mentor.

"Still, I may catch a shower because... well, it was an exciting evening. Far more memorable than I figured it would be," she adds. "Have a good night, Dex, and if you feel odd or do something odd then keep calm."
Yeah, it was quite nice! ^^ Now, I wonder what happened in the time from this to the prologue...