Prelude: Iuchi Jun

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

It is an era of sudden change and upheaval in the Emerald Empire. Mortal schemes, elemental imbalances, and celestial turmoil have disrupted the political, military, and spiritual equilibrium of Rokugan. Long-simmering rivalries and fresh betrayals ripple through the courts and on the battlefield. The Chrysanthemum Throne is beset by threats from without and within, and the honor of the seven Great Clans shall be put to the test.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Image Water can do without fishes, fishes cannot do without water. ~ Burning Sands Proverb

The Emerald Empire of Rokugan. It is a land upheld by honor, guided by fate, ruled by destiny. The Great Clans each support the Emperor, but inter-clan conflict is inevitable—both in the Emperor’s courts and on the battlefield. In the midst of danger and turmoil, honor must be your sword and your armor.

From the Shadowlands in the south to the Burning Sands in the north, from the Twilight Mountains in the west to the Islands of Spice and Silk in the east, Rokugan, the Emerald Empire, has stood for over one thousand years thanks to the seven Great Clans who serve the Emperor. As guardians and politicians, each clan fulfills their role in society and are as varied as they are powerful. But all are bound by the same code of honor, the way of the warrior, the code of Bushido. Honor is valued above all else, and a misspoken remark can be just as fatal as an enemy’s blade.

Kōnotori Mura : White Stork Village

Just another farming and fishing village in the southern Crane lands, Kōnotori Mura, is a pleasant, if not simple, place to be. The village is pleasantly arranged, each house placed just so by a Crane civil planner, as if it was a a piece of ikebana, the Rokugani art of flower arranging. Peasants work the rice fields that spread out around the village for many li. They work with vigor and songs on their lips that help them to keep time as they plant and harvest throughout their lives. The village has a small wharf area with a few floating docks, fishing boats, and a thriving beach side community of fisher folks.

White Stork Village takes its name from the many white storks that migrate through each summer from their breeding grounds in the nearby Uebi Marshes to the west on their way to the south east Isles of Spice and Silk. There among the so called Mantis Clan the storks winter. A large garden, placed just so among the arrangement, is set to invite the storks with dogwoods and lilies. They say it is good fortune if a stork takes notice of you along its flight. The height of Crane fashion will often bear a feather from White Stork Village.

Three roads come into White Stork Village, each one leaving by a cardinal direction North, South or West. Travelers pass through the village daily on their way to other places. Only a rare few come here for the village itself. Some come to visit the garden when the storks are present, others to visit the small Shrine of the Sebun Ronin. All visitors end up at the Cresting Wave Sake House, the only such establishment in town where travelers can get a meal and room.

It is the Month of the Rooster, as the peasants view the calendar. Summer is fading, autumn is coming, the rains will start soon. The storks are nearing the end of their migration, yet many are still found in the garden and waters off the coast of Kōnotori Mura and so too are travelers. Tax season has begun as the rice harvest is starting. Many reasons have brought many souls to this small village, some may call it fate, or fortune, or kharma, whatever the purpose, small ripples have begun to spread across the surface of the water.
This is the intro thread for Graven / Iuchi Jun please wait for another post from me before you join in.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 pm

For some crossing the empire may be a long journey, one that leads to seeking insight and guidance into the nature of man. A trip that long may be the end of a long task or teaching, and they may seek simply to be home once more. These are all reasons, but they are nothing to the Unicorn. Long are the travels of the Ki-Rin Clan, and travel is in the very soul of the samurai of Shuinjo's people. So it is that crossing the width of Rokugan simply to meet ones cousin is a fairly normal event.

Iuchi Jun's mother may be one of the Iuchi, but his father was a Daidoji of the Crane. In fact his father is a rather skilled duelist, and had on occasion the need to use that ability right here in White Stork Village. Iuchi Jun has only just arrived in the village, finding it rather busy for such a small way station along the Crane's southern region. He's heard tell of the beautiful storks and the odd history with the Shrine to Seven Ronin within the village. After many long letters his cousin has convinced him to come and visit her here. She has recently been appointed as an aid to the local military leader of the village, Daidoji Juro.

She wrote him recently, "It is a small appointment, I assist the Yoriki Daidoji Juro-sama in his duties as he over sees the doshin and ashigaru of the village. It is mostly breaking up brawls in the Cresting Wave Inn, or scaring off Mantis riff-raff that think to come up the coast and bother our fishing boats. It is a fine place to start, but I will not be here long, so come and visit me before I am appointed to Otosan-Uchi! The gardens are a delight, and the sushi is no fresher in all the empire."

So without much more prompting, before his own duties to his family and clan prevent it, he has ridden into Kōnotori Mura seeking his cousin, and childhood friend.
Welcome Graven/Phlale to the game!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:43 am

Jun assesses the village, very different from the few towns the Unicorn can boast of. Still, it seems pleasant enough, and to see the sea for the first time, to have crossed the Empire itself, seems a fitting way to start his journeys.

He plays with the tiny charm that hangs at his neck, a scaled wolf carved into a snarl. A little blasphemy to some, but an ancient tradition to the Iuchi. His dress is little better, a mix of Crane fashion and Ki-Rin tradition, the garb of a priest well used to riding the planes of Rokugan and even perhaps the steppes beyond.

Another glance around and he heads for the Cresting Wave, securing lodgings and reporting his arrival are his first tasks, then perhaps his cousin can show him her new charge.
Ancestors, it's good to be back
Will get Jun fully updated then get posting in the OOC areas
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:15 pm

The Iuchi turns a few heads, both for the fact that he is a Unicorn this far from home, and for his strange attire which likely includes fur. Heimin move out of his way as his large horse trots down the street. The village only has a few large buildings, the magistrate's estate to the east, and the Cresting Wave Sake House and Inn. Reaching the Inn he finds there is no suitable stable for his mount. Such horses, and horses in general are not common here among the Crane. There are plenty of farmers on the edge of the town, with rice paddies, and some even have oxen to plow with, perhaps he might find a paddock for his mount among them.

The afternoon sun is high in the sky and as the summer weather is starting to fade it still manages a warm smile from Lady Amaterasu down on the traveling Shugenja. People come and go among the village, and a trio of white storks are spotted flying in low over the gardens to the east.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:19 pm

"Of course. Perhaps the magistrate or Kishiko could direct me to some honest farmer." With a touch, Tentsüü moves like water toward the magistrates estate. Perhaps surprisingly, the samurai and his mount are quite considerate of the heimin, allowing them time to move well clear and moving slowly and carefully through the street.

Glancing up at the storks Jun smiles, "I suppose I must see the famed gardens, it's unlikely I will ever get the chance again." He picks his way through the street toward the magistrate's estate to present his papers and hopefully find some place he can stable his mount.
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:59 pm

Tentsüü plods along slowly, not replying to its rider's words. The horse may be a find steed of the Shinjo but even still it can't talk. Horse and rider slip easily down the street, the Cresting Wave Inn and Sake House passing by on the right and then behind the pair. Heimin hustle about the streets, and Jun notices that many carry bundles and sacks of rice or millet. They are busy, its harvest time, and that means tax time. So the roads are more congested than expected as they haul their harvest to market or to the Magistrates for counting.
Image The magistrate's estate is rather fine, he is a Crane after all. A low wall circles a courtyard and garden, a small pond, and several small out buildings. In the center a larger two story wooden structure rises up made of seasoned wood and paper walls that can be slid open to catch the cool sea breezes or closed to block out the sun and moon.
Image A few servants move about in the courtyard near the front gate.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Jun dismounts just outside the wall, looking for either a servant to hand the horse off to or a convenient place to tie it off. Not that he's expecting Tentsüü to wander off or anyone to try to steal him. Once the animal is secured he steps onto the estate itself hoping to encounter his cousin, or at least present what papers he needs to and find some way to lodge the riding horse. He smiles inwardly at a heimin that gazes at the animal, wondering how they would react to one of the real warhorses the Utaku breed.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:14 pm

"Hold one moment right there Unicorn."

The voice is stern and strong, a hint of accusation on the voice.

From behind Jun strides a Crane samurai. The man wears a set of armor, of all things. The Kozane dou gusoku armor is made of bright blue lamellar cuirass made of individual scales. Finding a samurai walking around in full armor, even such fine armor, is dramatically striking, especially in this little Crane village.
Image "State your name and business in the Magistrate-sama's estate, and present your papers." He is stern, but not violent in his demands. He bears a small ribbon hung from his Crane Clan Mon on his armor, kanji and a seal marking him as some sort of Yoriki of the Crane.

Tentsüü whinnies and scraps the dirt with his hooves, on edge, and disliking the attitude of the bold crane samurai.

Graven
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Graven » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:18 pm

"Of course," Jun bows a little stiffly, a lack of practice as opposed to an intentional insult. "I am Iuchi Jun, I was looking to present my travel papers, and perhaps inquire where my impatient companion could be stabled." Slowly reaching into his pouch, Jun produces the bundle that contains his travel papers. Offering them for inspection, "I also seek Daidoji Kishiko, I understand she was recently posted here."
As the Crane inspects his papers, Jun pats Tentsüü on the neck to calm the horse. "Come, friend, show our hosts some courtesy, they are only performing their duties."
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:58 pm

The large Unicorn Clan horse sorts and paws at the ground a few more times before turning away and swishing its tail side to side with what seems like disgust.

The Crane steps forward and takes the traveling papers, he unfolds them and scans through them, "Your papers appear to be in order. I am Daidoji Juro, Yoriki to the Magistrate of Kōnotori Mura. Welcome to our little town." He is about to hand them back, but then he pauses and rubs his thumb strongly along the signature of the Unicorn Magistrate that wrote them. His eyes narrow, then he folds it up and returns them to Jun.

"Daidoji Kishiko is to be my assistant, I know her. What business do you have with her, if I might ask, Iuchi-san?" He stands stiffly, perhaps a factor of his armor, perhaps more just of his demeanor. Either way this man seems far to formal and reserved for the likes of Kishiko from what Jun knows of his cousin.