Chapter 1a: __________ is Magic (Epilogue)

Magic is Real.

We fly over oceans, hold the sum of all recorded knowledge in our hands, and speak with relatives halfway across the world without leaving our chairs. Magic isn't just flying on broomsticks or calling down fire from the Heavens. Magic is limited only by your Imagination, and your Will to make it manifest. There's a battle going on over the nature of Reality and Mankind itself. Pretend it isn't there, or get involved and forge the Future you envision.

Welcome to the Ascension War.

Moderator: ManWithDoor

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Inquisitors has a rather unsavory feel to it, but I'm good with the calling ourselves the Questors. I don't think we need anything fancier than that.

Karstil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Karstil » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:58 pm

Ulrich listens what Master Robertson has to say. As he comes to the situation of Jade Dragon, Ulrich meets his gaze with his own, where there is a sadness and sorrow about the hurting of a kind soul but also no regret about doing what was necessary.

After the others answered the guest, he speaks quietly: " I'm very much interested in the investigation of the events and the threat they represent. So I would count me in but as Pixel already said: we are no masters, some would even call us apprentices...

No matter what the decision is, I would like to offer any help I can give to the care for the wounded, especially Jade Dragon, because I was with her, and partially responsible for the damage it may helps her when I'm present..."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:01 pm

For the first time, likely for any of you, you see a genuine smile on the Primus' face. At the Council meeting he was on stage, presenting power and authority. Any smiles there would have been part of him playing his role. Here, in private, you can see him lower his guard and see him as he is. "Thank you. All of you. I expect no more than you are willing to give, either as individuals or as a group."

He places his teacup back on the table, and stands up. "I will trouble you no more today. I assume most of you are eager to get home, as pleasant as Pixel's abode is." He pulls up the hood of his cloak, obfuscating the paradox backlash that was rather disturbing. Features should look settled, and an hourglass is not a normal shape for a pupil. "As for your perceived lack of experience, remember that you are Willworkers, Magi, one of the learned and wise. Remember what you achieved just in the past day, being neither Adepts nor Masters. Pride may come before the fall, but so too can underestimating yourselves accomplish the same."

He makes for the door, opening it to the hallway. Halfway out he pauses and turns back. "I will be in touch, and we'll all figure out together how this will all function."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:26 pm

After Master Robertson leaves, Pixel asks no one in particular, "Did we ever actually agree to spearhead the investigation?" She sighs and turns to the others and says, "I think some of his advice actually makes some sense--to take some down time for ourselves. When we're fresh, we can come back together and put our heads together to figure out next steps."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:16 am

"OK. Sounds good to me." Geyser picks up his stuff and speaks to Autumn in Cantonese, and she gets up without a word. The morning light seems to have made her irritable.

"I mean it. I haven't been 'awakened' long, but If you guys are up for it, I'm on board. I couldn't do it alone."

The jock mystic gives the room a small wave, and heads out with his friend.

Karstil
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Karstil » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:27 am

Ulrich waves back at the two leaving, and as a goodbye, he says: "God be with you, and blesses your Day."

As the door closes his eyes wander to Pixel and Dexter. "Now, I should also make me on my way. But I would like to add that even if we form a circle it does not mean that you have to throw yourself in the arms of the traditions, Dexter. There are ways around it even if we would place the circle under their direction. What we don't have to do..." he stands up from the chair, collects his possessions and with a " You too shall be blessed with his grace and presence." he also moves to leave the apartment

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:18 pm

Pixel turns to Dexter and says, "I agree with Ulrich. You shouldn't have to join the Traditions if you don't want to. I didn't really know there were any other options when I joined. There are definitely advantages, in terms of being able to learn from others and having a support network. But it can also be pretty top-down and authoritarian. I'll be glad to work with you long term, even after this mess is over, whether you decide to stay independent or join the Traditions."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:13 am

Dexter is silent a long time, not having spoken during the visit from the Primus, and not afterwards either. The pregnant silence stands when he eventually moves, slowly but firmly shaking his head in the negative. "No, I'm out. This isn't my fight, or my people." One of his hands is slightly shaking, the stress or trauma manifesting even through his strong control.

He backs up from the rest of the group, the physical separation mirroring his words. "June and myself were a team, one that got caught up in all of this. Now that it's ended, I'm out too. There are plenty of people in the Traditions that I can, and I suppose do, respect. So I'm not turning my back on everyone to go twist in the wind, but I'm not joining any Cabal, and I'm not signing up for the Traditions and their Council and their enemies."

He moves to the door, pausing halfway out and looking back. "This doesn't mean I don't recognize the value of what we did together, or what you having my back meant. If you need me, don't hesitate to call. For advice, maybe a Foretelling or two here and there." He manages a weak half-smile. "Walking away from the situation isn't the same as walking away from you."

And with that, he disappears into the morning dawn.
Hermit has decided to withdraw from the Campaign at this point. I for one am very grateful for the effort he has put in over these years, and how his quality writing has pushed me to be a better writer and Storyteller. If you decide to message him please don't try to dissuade him from this choice, respecting the choices of others and all that. But I certainly won't discourage heartfelt messages of appreciation and gratitude for his time here. :)

His character Dexter's focus on prophecy through the Tarot really pushed me to incorporate the use of symbolism and imposed meaning in my descriptions, which was both a challenge and a pleasure. If you call upon Dexter for help unweaving mysteries in the future, I hope that I will rise to the occasion to represent that flavor of mysticism again.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:52 pm

Pixel says, "Well, I can't say that I blame him." She sighs. "Let's get some down time so we can each get our heads together, then come back to talk later and, ah, put our heads together on how to deal with this problem."