Any interest in an ASOIAF game?

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Any interest in an ASOIAF game?

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:22 pm

Founding event does sound rather like being on the winning side to me?

I'm a little out of inspiration right now, or rather, got too many concepts that could be fun to go with.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Scout

Post by Bohemond » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:48 pm

So, quick update:

-We have potentially interested players. I'd like to get four players, just to get a good number (also ASOIAF thrives off interaction).

-Still waiting for people to give me PC ideas, or really anything besides general expressions of interest.

-One of the home-brew rules I'm going to implement is using the house fortunes turn to jump start wealth or defense projects. No one's going to build any fortifications when even a tower requires about 4 years minimum time to build.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:11 pm

May need some hooks, like where in Westeros we're going to be and what sort of founding event we'll be having for starters.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:31 pm

So I went through the thread and it appears a post I thought I made isn't there. So some details:

-The campaign will start at 200 AC, four years after Redgrass Field. I would advise against having your PCs be Blackfyre supporters, since they've not only lost, but given its relative recency, there's no way you'd be involved in creating a new House. As Narrator, I'm giving this a hard nope.

-I do want to keep the specific location of the house under wraps until the campaign underway, I will provide a slight narrowing of the location. The house WILL NOT be located in the Iron Islands or the North, as my interpretation of the time period is that the Northmen mostly mind their own business and the Ironmen only pop up to be marauding jerks. I will entertain a PC from these areas if there's a cool angle, but given the scope I'm planning for the campaign, these regions seems a tad too insular.

-I also encourage you to flesh out your PCs beyond just "this is the build." Wants, goals, dreams, interests, all that stuff. I have no problem with someone playing a warrior character. Epic fights are cool. But, as someone who has run and played in more campaigns than I can recall, I'm over the prototypical "my character fights. When he's not fighting, he's training to fight. When he's not doing that, he's sullenly waiting for the opportunity to do one of the previous two activities."

I would like people post or PM me any character concepts they have sooner rather than later. I get that it's Summer and I'm not expecting full-on characters to flood my inbox in the next hour, but when you have time, tell me what you're considering. Or if you have questions, I'll try to answer them in a timely and substantive manner.

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:23 am

Some ideas off the top of my head that could get interesting:

During the reign of Baelor the befuddled, some lords married their daughters (or cousins or whatever) to Dorne to seal the peace and stuff, presumably in return for royal favor. Fast forward to Redgrass field and the elimination of the sons and grandchildren of one such lord, and the title now rightfully falls to said daughter's daughter, One that would be BFF with the Sand Snakes a hundred years from now.

Manipulative bitch of a lady coming from an old and prestigious house, who's absolutely not thrilled about being married off to some upjumped hedge knight. Or so she would view it.

Captain of the guard colluding with lord's bastard daughter (either of them potential PC) to seize the castle when lord declares for Blackfyre, executing him and his sons for treachery, and taking the gamble that loyalists win and that they can successfully press her claim by virtue of holding the castle. Alternative is that captain of the guard is the lord's bastard and presses his own claim.

I often play off what others have been thinking and house history and so on, so basically shooting blindly. I have my rogue's gallery where Ondrew, Ashlee and other variants come out of, maybe half a dozen "molds" I know I can handle reasonably well and have fun with.

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:17 pm

First, to Zorbeltuss:

I like the character ideas. I agree we're waiting on the other interested players to help build some idea of what there is to work with. Am I detecting a potential Lady Martell?

General notes:

To reiterate, the group is probably going to RP the founding event. Which means you won't know what it is beforehand. It also means you won't know where your house will be located, as I am not going to divulge it. There is no house history, because the house doesn't exist.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:55 am

For a character concept, I don't want to start as a Noble. Instead a career soldier, who would have fought in the Blackfyre Rebellion. Maybe late 20s or early 30s. Not a Knight, perhaps a lower ranking officer. Respected with the men he's served with.

Zorbeltuss' background concept is interesting, and it could easily accommodate me in there somewhere.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:29 pm

Not knowing does not make things easier, but if the idea is that we put together a band of characters that plausibly can gain control of some piece of land that is big enough to support a castle and things will be adjusted from there, can probably work.

But non-existing house means simply overthrowing the previous lord for treason doesn't work?

The bitchy lady from [old and prestigious house] probably also does not so easily fly with the setup...unless she to her absolute horror was "sold" to some merchant prince that was granted lands. Or if she got married off to some second son or whatever (not being a lord's wife? Preposterous!).

Dornish lady still works fine, at least if there's inheritance claims involved.

Other options would probably be found in the "Ondrew" - shelf, maybe not quite so lazy a slave to vices.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:06 pm

You should grab @WalterPeck and see if he's interested.

EDIT: I notified him.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Bohemond
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bohemond » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:43 pm

-Tet, thanks for the post and message to Walter. It goes without saying, you always have a place in my campaign if you have the time and inclination (I know you're raising a young'n).

-Based on where the discussion is going, I appear to be failing to get my point across about what the power level this game is going to be played at, despite my Inception meme. So I will restate a point I made in that post of the 18th:

Zorbeltuss, you literally have the option of playing a "bitchy lady" who is the daughter of Daeron II and Queen Myriah of Dorne, sister of Prince Baelor Breakspear. Not a bastard, not some hidden secret, a straight up Targaryen princess. If I was going to sell your PC off to some merchant prince, he better be the bleeping Sea Lord of Braavos.

ManWithDoor, it's like I'm offering the Laughing Storm, and you're coming back with a demand to play Hotpie. I will try to work with you if you want to play a non-noble, I'll work with you on developing a backstory you'd enjoy having, but this campaign is the level and tone of the campaign.

I've yet to hear further from Xenomorph, so I don't know what the story is. I realize keeping some things under wraps may make things difficult, but this should hopefully help provide some direction. This is not going to be a struggle to see if you can be the Freys 5th most powerful vassal.